Introspective of this forum: "Does the Audiophile Community Have a Promlem?" I Say yes!!!

This article is so insightful to this forum and the toxicity in the community. (My Opinion)

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?

I know I have contributed to the toxicity here and will try to be a better citizen. Hopefully some will read this and see they are part of the problem (LOL)

Some will not and continue to play their roll as the Toxic Avenger.

https://www.ecoustics.com/articles/audiophile-community-problem/

There is a particular board on a specific forum that was hidden from the outside world because of how horrible it was. Where personal politics and racism was the norm 24-7 and one member even committed suicide after months of abuse. We watched him fight with other members on a daily basis and get a lot of heat back. He was fine most of the time when dealing with him on a individual basis but then he descended into some really horrible commentaries about race and certain countries and he went down the rabbit hole into some dark places.

Websites like ASR hold zero interest for me because a lot of the users are just there to be “right” and make others feel very small because their views don’t align with certain points of view.

128x128jerryg123

"It’s worth drawing a distinction between "rude a-hole" and "extremely opinionated old hifi guy."

Exactly right and well said, @td_dayton!

I enjoy the rants and baiting.  It's like watching a soap opera with a stereo equipment theme.  The snarkier the better!

I certainly hope nobody is actually getting upset by this.  "Riled up" is fine, though. If you want to see an active toxic forum, you should go to one that discusses which city has the best pizza (New Haven, Connecticut, of course).

Current system:  Harbeth P3esr speakers, REL T/5 sub, Odyssey electronics, Technics SL1200 GR with Hana SL cartridge. Decent copper wires.  In my room, listening at my preferred volume levels, it's the best system I have ever heard!

If the intent here is to raise awareness in people who behave badly well, good luck with that--i've already seen in this thread that some of the worst offenders have no clue that this thread might just apply to them.  It would seem that arrogance is blind and perhaps these offenders really don't see themselves in that light--which means the problem will remain.

To a certain extent this, and other forums, represent the sentiment of the country/world and times--there's enough diversity here that you get all types.  In the six years i've been a member i've definitely seen the tone change for the worse but not extremely so--it's usually just a few prolific people--and sometimes, if you wade through the condescension, they actually have something to offer.  I'm kind of in agreement with those who think the problem is not really that serious.  I still enjoy reading the weekly summary and i know whose opinions i will value and those i will ignore--and it's not always the arrogant ones i ignore--as with any forum there's the good, the bad & the ugly so i don't take it that seriously.

Merry Christmas/(or if applicable Happy Hanukkah ) to all and Happy New Year

Somebody committed suicide because of what was said on this site,WTF... Really....

@kahlenz, the fierce debate is not over which city has the best pizza. Even New Yorkers and Chicagoans, if they're being honest, agree it's New Haven. The debate is about which ("apizza") place makes the best pie. 

For the record, I've had most of them and they're ALL amazing. Sally's, Pepe's, Modern, and so on. Heck, I even like Ernie's. Then we get to West Haven, North Haven (which has had some stellar places in the past), and beyond.... Now I'm hungry!