Suggestions for adjustable gain CD player

I am looking for a relatively high quality CD player with adjustable gain, and I have been looking at the Wadia 302 player for one example. I do not need a unit with a volume control since I will be using it with a preamp. I currently have an Ayre CX7e player, which has an output level that is too hot for my system, otherwise I would keep it. I have tried Rothwell attenuators and did not like what they did for the sound quality. I am interested in players in the $2,000 to $3,000 price range, and do not need multi-format or DVD. Any further suggestions would be appreciated.
mitch2
I have used the Wadia 302's back panel gain control to better align its output between my player and my preamp. In my case, I actually bumped the gain up to its max (the opposite of your situation). The Wadia 302 affords you three levels of gain adjustment. BTW, the Wadia 302 produces an excellent sound...although I know that the Ayre is good too. Good luck, Jim
Thanks Jppenn, I was hoping to hear from some 302 owners. I do not mind a lateral move, but do not want to take a step down from the Ayre. Gregm, you must be mistaking the model Ayre I own, the CX-7e does not have any form of preamp or attenuation, although it is a good unit. I am not looking for any form of a volume control, but simply a unit where I can adjust (reduce) gain for system matching (e.g., set it an forget it). I contacted Ayre, but they said even if I send it in to them, they cannot modify the CX-7e to reduce gain.
Mitch2, If at all possible try to listen to the 302 in your system. I love mine. Any piece of equipment is certainly relative to the individual system and what the Wadia sounds like in mine may, of course, be different in yours. However, in my experience, if the 302 does have a sonic "signature" it is a silky smoothness with no hint of digital...great bass and sweet highs.