Help with Cartridge choice

Fellow audiophiles, my first time posting here and I will appreciate your help in choosing the right cartridge as part of my broader journey to put together an end game system. My upgrade path may not be very logical because it is opportunistic.

I use an old Pro-Ject Perspective turntable from early 2000s with the 9" aluminium arm (not the carbon one). I will make a significant upgrade in next couple of years but thats what i have for now.

I recently bought a Zesto Andros II phono stage to match my Zesto Leto 1.2 pre.

For now I am trying to upgrade from my Ortofon Bronze (MM) cartridge to something finer. Based on my research I am considering Hana ML ($1200). I have to stay below $1500. I have never used a MC or LOMC and not very analog savvy, and will appreciate any and all recommendations. 

Thank you!

musicmatters1206

I'm not sure what the effective mass is for that tonearm, so I'm not sure if these are a good match, but two MC carts I've been really loving lately are the AT33Sa and the VAS Ebony 103.

If I understand you correctly you are planning on upgrading the cartridge first, then the turntable. I would reverse that. Turntable first.

I have been lucky with cartridges after my first budget ones. But it has required an enormous amount of research. For me, the starting point has been the sound of my existing cartridge… was it natural enough, detailed enough, tonal balance? If my existing one is bordering on too much detail (so it is bringing in too much surface noice)… or too warm with not enough detail… then this points to a direction… or if it is perfect, then higher level cartridge with the same characteristic. It also must be appropriate for your tone arm.

So, as a starting point, read every professional review on your existing cartridge, and then on cartridges in your price range. You have to carefully evaluate the nuances of the sound description and of the equipment being used by the reviewer… it’s not easy. But, the right cartridge is not an absolute, it can be different for every user and associated collection of equipment.

One Stop Shopping

Terrific 7 layer Plinth

quartz locked direct drive TT81 spinner,

JVC-Victor Long 7082 Tonearm, VTA on the Fly (counterweight rubber gasket is in great shape, Eugene sent me separate photos),

includes headshell/cartridge/new stylus;

includes 120/100v transformer

includes DIN cable

Includes AT auto-lift accessory, I love mine.

get a spare headshell for your existing cartridge if not worn out. 

potential to add a second tonearm in the future

note: price is CAD, and I bet he would accept a lower offer.

I wrote Eugene because a friend almost bought this,

Total weight approx. 65lbs .

Box size 27" x 24" x 14" . (double boxed)

Shipping via Express UPS 2 days delivery - approx. $120 .

I would echo your instinct on the Audio Technica ART 9.  I had one. Superb cartridge for the money. And, even if it was 2x the price it would be worth it.  I cannot tell for sure but I think it is a decent match for that arm, but I've never been the best at the compliance math game and sometimes things sound good or bad regardless of the matchup. 

Thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately for the older tonearm i cannot find the effective mass. I will ask Sumiko who might have this information. I will say that this tonearm design is bad - very easily gets off VTA.

Perhaps I am trying to buy a good cartridge hoping that it can switch over to the new TT, but advice here seems to be to solve for now - in which case maybe i will do nothing at all until i am able to purchase the TT (looking at Origin Live Resolution with Illustrious Arm or Sparta 0.5).

Then again i could buy an AT cartridge for some immediate sonic benefits and trade up when new TT comes along.

Any additional perspectives welcome, and thanks to all who have contributed thus far.