More expensive = better?

Because I have never owned any very high end gear I’m wondering if an $8000 integrated amp will sound jaw dropping better than a $5000 one? Right now my system is Parasound JC2 and SMC Audio DNA1 Gold. 

Thanks in advance,

Ben

honashagen

It’s not a linear scale of better to worse, there’s a manifold to explore and potential to get lost in it.

Have you heard "jaw dropping", sound before? I usually compare systems to mine not the other way around. Are there more expensive systems than mine. LOL Good Lord yes. Could they make me happier if had them? I don't think so.. Especially if I had to pay what some people will actually pay for gear. I'm a Mac guy too. Frugal, YES, Cheap, NO! My jaw has been wired shut for years. :-)

Regards

I had a Parasound Halo6 integrated amp @$2500.00 and moved on to a more expensive integrated @$6500.00.  It was a night and day difference for the better with the kind of sound where I can’t wait to turn it on daily.  The newer integrated is a different brand so that is one reason it sounds different and better to me.   My experience may not be the same as yours though. 

No it is not certain that a more expensive integrated will sound better than a cheaper one, especially not jaw dropping better.

If you can't listen to the more expensive integrated, preferably in your own system before buying, do a lot of reading and research, buy used and take your chances.

It depends. If it's a better match to your system it's going to sound good, if it's not a good match your results might be mixed.