Good or Best Surge Protector

Hi, I am moving to an area in rural Colorado where lightning strikes are prevalent and the power company not the most reliable.  I have a pretty nice system that I want to protect from lightning strikes or power surges from the power company.  My system is: Rockport Avior II speakers, Audio Research REF 160S amp, Audio Research REF 10 Preamp and Phono Stage, Aurender W20 SE, Ayre DAC, Galibier turntable with Kuzma 11 point arm and Van Den Hul cartridge and 2 REL G1 subs.  I don't know a lot about power so was wondering if anyone knew of a good power surge protector --for example, are the furman protectors any good or are they junk?  Thank you in advance for your help and advice. 

Ag insider logo xs@2xgasherbaum

Well, I guess I would add...

I have not experienced, but read of lighting striking near a house and frying half the electronics within without touching the electrical.

Personally, I would contact your insurance provider and inform them of your most expensive piece and have the item(s) as an actual cost+ replacement plan added to your policy. I believe unless noted in the policy, maximum claim is about 3k per item.

@erik_squires 

I agree.. Whole house is good for appliances and such, but for delicate computer, stereo gear.. A Brickwall surge protected used with whole house breaker protection is your best bet. I use this setup here in NC

Well, I guess I would add...

I have not experienced, but read of lighting striking near a house and frying half the electronics within without touching the electrical.

It is extremely rare, but it does happen.  If you are playing the odds this is not the bet to take, anymore than not wearing a seat belt because you think getting thrown clear of your car is a good idea. 99.9% of damaging power surge issues won't be like this.

It's important to note that in-panel / in-meter surge protectors have been added to the NEC because of life-safety issues as much as anything else.  Whatever you do, this is the one thing you really should.

I do go 1 step further btw, I also air-gap my incoming Internet connection via fiber adapters. 

Best,

Erik

1.  The BUSS-Stop from pi audio group.

1.  The BUSS-Stop from pi audio group.

2.  SurgeX SEQ from ZenWave.

I recently had a Seimens FS140 whole house surge suppressor installed by my breaker box(as well as a 2nd grounding rod by my meter box).

I wanted to get surge suppression MOV’s etc away from my equipment. Now I have a PI Audio Uberbuss/Digi Buss power conditioner which has no surge suppression and does not limit current.