Good or Best Surge Protector

Hi, I am moving to an area in rural Colorado where lightning strikes are prevalent and the power company not the most reliable.  I have a pretty nice system that I want to protect from lightning strikes or power surges from the power company.  My system is: Rockport Avior II speakers, Audio Research REF 160S amp, Audio Research REF 10 Preamp and Phono Stage, Aurender W20 SE, Ayre DAC, Galibier turntable with Kuzma 11 point arm and Van Den Hul cartridge and 2 REL G1 subs.  I don't know a lot about power so was wondering if anyone knew of a good power surge protector --for example, are the furman protectors any good or are they junk?  Thank you in advance for your help and advice. 

Ag insider logo xs@2xgasherbaum

That is a great system. I would definitely have surge / conditioning. Unfortunately, I am not an expert. I did have a direct line (now I have two) put in before I moved in. These would be very appropriate for your system. I have a high quality conditioner which helps even more.

Our power cables and infrastructure is buried and quite reliable up here in Washington. I’ll have some folks with experience recommend surge protection. 

I would consider a whole house surge protector you install in the breaker box. 

I recommend a bit of research into those.

+1, @thecarpathian

I also suggest auditioning atleast 2-4 high quality conditioners from Audience, Puritan, Shunyata or Synergistic. Your system is too good to settle for some pedestrian power conditioner like Furman.

I live just outside of Memphis and when storms come through we get a lot of lightning. I went with a whole house surge protector at the breaker, but also have Blue Circle power conditioners that also have surge protection. Just focusing on the protection side of things , whole house protectors are warranted in areas with a lot of lightning, but don’t get fooled into thinking that they won’t get taken out by lightning. You need to monitor them to make sure that they haven’t and if so get them replaced. I've had to have replacements installed twice. So if you get one installed you also need a conditioner that offers protection directly at your equipment. Look into some of those suggested by lalitk

I've also heard good things about the Audioquest Niagara series conditioners/protectors.

Crutchfield sells them with a generous 60 day return policy.