All the old issues of Stereo Review are online!!

And available here:   https://www.americanradiohistory.com/HiFI-Stereo-Review.htm

The infamous Clark amplifier test is January, 1987, if anyone wants to re-live that.  I remember reading that when it came out (I was just out of college, but, having worked at an audio shop when I was 14, was already well into the hobby).  That was when I began to be aware of how I might be suckered by appearances.

Lots of things to love or hate, but oh, the advertisements!
ahofer
@larryrs- "....hyperbolic"? What was it, that Hirsch, "relied on", besides measurements? His other, "reference"? OH, YEAH: "sounds". Once again(from his pen): " I’ve never listened to live music, but- I have a pretty good idea what it sounds like." That was the most inane statement, that I’d ever read, by a purported, "reviewer" of audio equipment AND; remains so, to this day. I determined Hirsch(and the rag), to be of no further value to me, based on a couple decades(at that time) of a life, focused on the production and reproduction of live music and never read another issue. That was the exercising of a prerogative, based on a personal opinion. FACT: All music is sound, but- not all sounds are an accurate reproduction of recorded music, though some will settle for(or- absolutely love) such, like he(invariably) did. Your initial post and the review you copy/pasted, concluded that, " In summation.........The choice then becomes a matter of taste.", after comparing a speaker system’s performance, to nothing beyond the performance/sound of other speakers and listener opinions. If that’s a metric, to which you ascribe value, enjoy!
My Personal Experience. There is a big difference in Amps and Pre-Amps. I personally tested against one another on the same turntable and speakers.
New Crown International PL-1 /SL-1 Against a New Yamaha Parametric / EQ Pre-Amp and Beast M Series Power Amp. The Crown way out-shined the Yamaha with twice the power rating with the Yamaha Pre-Amp. The PL 1 Was 50W / RMS (22,000MF Caps - Large for 50W) The Yamaha 100W RMS (Torrid Transformer Bigger Caps) on JBL Lancers.  At that time in 1987 the Crown SL-1 /PL-1 was top pick for best $1200.00 combination at the time in a Stereo Review test and sound evaluation. 
The Crown had much more transparency, Clarity with still maintaining a solid low end. And the 15 X20ft room shook when the lows hit. Punched just as well as the bigger Amp even at loud volume. Nice crisp highs without being harsh.
When I placed the Yamaha with the SL-1 Preamp we could not tell them apart until really cranking up the volume beyond what we could hardly take. The Yamaha then left the crown behind but not putting the smaller Amp to shame but the Yamaha True Power rating was apparent and the big transformer and big caps made an impressive show. The Yamaha Power Amp was real nice gear. Both Amps were high quality in their price of $400 Crown - $1200 Yamaha. Throw the Yamaha pre-amp. The Hafler 100W RMS Power cube. The Crown absolutely destroyed it. The brand new Hafler was rated two times the Power of the Crown. However the Hafler distorted before reaching 3/4 of what the Crown did without even being stressed. I think most people can find a difference with side by side comparison on the same pre-amp and speakers because I have. I am not an Audiophile but have been a fan of great gear. A former Electronic tech with an appreciation for design and robust power supplies. I also agree with the opinion that All quality Pre-Amps /Power Amps sound the same is B.S.

and then the Benchmark AHB2 came along; Julian is looking down and smiling........... "i told ya".

Stereo Review, a business model that speaks more to people who do not buy hi-fi, then to those of us who do. Their dry objectivist approach is exactly what HEA buyers don’t want.

Yours in music,

Ted Denney III

Lead Designer/CEO Synergistic Research Inc.

Their dry objectivist approach is exactly what HEA buyers don’t want.

Guess what Ted?  Some of us do because SQ is strictly subjective.

Hence my reference to the Benchmark AHB2 which is known for it's ridiculously low THD, TIM, IM etc. and not so much an emphasis on the technology that produces these results.