New Herron VTPH 2A versus used Audio Research Reference 2 Phono

Have been thinking of upgrading my phono stage from my Audio Research PH3 SE.  Looking for easier cartridge loading flexibility, as well as possible upgrade in sound.  Honestly, I've been mostly happy with the current unit but feel it limits me with low output moving coils, many of which work better loaded down a little.

My current front end is a SOTA STAR III/SME V/Benz RUBY Z low output - all running into the phono stage unloaded at 47K.  Line stage is an Audio Research Reference 2 Mk II.  The rest of the system includes a Krell KSA 250 amplifier driving new Magico A5's.

A friend of mine is thinking of upgrading and thus I may have an opportunity to obtain his Audio Research Reference 2 phono (not sure if it is an SE version).  Alternatively, I've been thinking of trying a new Herron VTPH 2A.  I have NOT heard either in my system, only the former in his system.  No local dealers for the Herron, so I'd be taking a chance on it without prior audition.

The used ARC might cost a little more than a new Herron ($3650) but overall the cost difference is not much.

Anyone with experience with both?  Thoughts on which might work best for my system?  Or is there something else available at less than say $6K I should consider instead?

Thanks in advance.
bobbydd

@nolojunko so sorry to hear of your accident - hopefully full healing on horizon for you. IF i were you, i would auction the Herron as it has a well deserved following. My best to you.

jim

I've got a Herron VTSP-360 line preamp and VTPH-2 phono preamp and they are both superb, and yes, Keith is great to talk to about this stuff... 

The best piece of equipment I have is the VTPH-2, it can make a Rega sound awesome.

Ended up with a pristine used ARC Reference 2 SE phono, with new tubes.  So far, I am very happy with this unit.  Bought it at about 50% of retail, still more than a new Herron, which I believe is out of production.

Happy listening!

Yes the Herron is no longer made, which is a shame because it’s a fantastic phono stage.