Next MC Cartridge Advice/Recommendations

Hello All, 

I'm currently running a Kiseki Purpleheart on a Technics 1200 GAE turntable. I have two separate phono preamp options (Manley Chinook and Doge Clarity).  

The Kiseki is running fine but is arguably racking up the hours.  My system is really pleasing with vinyl so I put some real mileage on the Kiseki Purpleheart during the pandemic!  I lent my backup (Audio Technica ART9) to a friend who broke it.  Needless to say, I want to get my next cart in the house before the Purpleheart gives up on me. :)

I really love the balance of smooth v. detail on the Purpleheart.  At times it reminds me of reel-to-reel.  It is on the warmer side of things and can sound lush. 

Any advice on the following cartridges?  Have you heard any and what have you compared them to?  

1. Ortofon Windfield TI
  2. Audio Technica 1000
  3. Dynavector XV-1S
  4. Clearaudio Stradivari v2
  5. Lyra Kleos (both regular and super low output)
  6. Hana Umami Red

My system is all tube (pre, power, phono pre(s)) and horn speakers (Cornwall IV). 

128x128jbhiller

Thank you LewM and Raul! 

Yes, I want to retain some warmth; I don't want it to be too clinical or analytical.  Detail is great but not at the expense of warmth for me. 

Raul, I have bought from that seller before.  He's awesome. Quick question--do you think the Benz is too heavy for my Technics 1200 GAE arm?  I have the stock magnesium arm.  I think it's a very underrated arm. 

+1 @lewm & @rauliruegas

I owned the benz Ebony L which I believe is a tier down from the LPS. It was very good, IMO. Smooth warm detailed presentation  I got the itch and replaced it with a Zyx 4D. Even better than the Ebony L. It just dug out more info from the grooves. I believe better dynamics too. I would not call the Zyx necessarily warm but certainly not cold or analytical either. Mind you, the differences were not night & day but enough to notice readily. SoraSound usually has them for $3495 (maybe a demo. Don’t remember)

I would give some consideration to sending it to Andy Kim (or your re-tipper of choice) for an inspection and possibly re-tipping it if you like what you have.

I have owned the Purple Heart and currently have an Windfeld Ti.  They are very different presentations and I am not sure how one would replace the other well.  The Windfeld Ti has many excellent attributes and is slightly warmer than some of the other Ortofons, but I personally could not have it as my only option.  I originally had the two simultaneously and the Purple Heart, still performing well in a close friends system, was actually replaced by a Miyajima Madake.  The Miyajima provides the warmth of the Purple Heart along with appropriately increased detail and soundstage depth.  Other Miyajima cartridges may be something to consider in your search.

Used ATOC9/ART9 and heard the 1000.I wouldn't hesitate getting the ART1000. That would be AFTER putting a nicer arm on the proven Technics foundation. Your ART9 would have been in a different league with a Kuzma or whatever.

Have you considered the ART9XA?(Low output) More refined presentation compared the the .5mv . 1000 still has all the AT traits, but yet another level of refinement expected for a "super cart"

Any of the upper level Soundsmith carts should be included inyour final lineup. The Susurro is in the same price point as ART1000. Rebuild is the plus over the rest.

I've repeatedly(like a broken record) mentioned hearing the lineup and keep a $400 entry level Otello as a backup. I hear a midrange presentation unlike others. My reason for suggesting SS.

Presently using Kiseki Blue.