JL Audio CR-1 Crossover

So, I own 4 JL Audio F-113 subs. Each of these were bought used and all have been updated at JL Audio.

I have been very happy using them in my system. The main speakers are Focal Sopra 2’s. I am using a Iso-Max Jensen transformer(s) model #SP-2SX to connect the subs to my mains and it seems to work pretty well. BTW, the Iso Max unit(s) convert speaker level to balanced (similar to the Rel subs) using Speak-On fittings.

The JL Audio solution to the high/low band pass issue was their CR-1 Electronic crossover. I always wanted to try one of these but at $3000 list I didn’t think it could improve that much over my Iso Max unit(s).

However, I was able to find a used JL Audio CR-1 electronic crossover and I have just now connected it up.

The first thing I noticed was how much very low bass I was missing. Example: Linda Ronstadt “Blue Bayou” the bass now digs into the subterranean.

I guess I need to play with it a while. but I was wonderin’ if anyone else who owns or has owned this unit can share any set ups tips and general opinions of the unit.

ozzy

128x128ozzy

Thanks prof,

I am really surprised at how transparent the CR-1 is. I guess the main speakers used and the crossover point chosen is the challenge to making it shine. The CR-1 allows easy movement of that point for a seamless transition.

ozzy

One thing that might be worth mentioning about the CR-1 are the ground lifting switches in the back.  Their position matters, especially when using RCA ICs.  Owner should definitely test if grounded or floating sounds best to them.

The ground switch is a good tip I overlooked. Thanks. 

I switched from master/slave mono to stereo. At that time I phase adjusted R and left channels to 80Hz with an SPL meter and also volume corrected the right channel at 80Hz. Phase was zero in mono mode and the xover was best at 12db.

Either way works the overall results were a compromise. The mono mode at 12db cover luckily reduced 115 and 170Hz peaks while producing a dip at 28Hz. Subjectively I prefer the mono mode, but neither is a slam dunk. 

The damping knobs have a broad reach. Broader bandwidth than I was exprecting and easily measured. At 80Hz, I created a "satellite" dip that went up to over 200Hz.  

jmarshak,

I am only using the balanced inputs/outputs, so I leave it as grounded. There is absolutely no noise.

ohlala,

I have used the mono mode for my home theater pass through but otherwise its always in stereo. I have yet to play with the damping controls, any suggestions?

ozzy

Hi. Not really, Ozzy. Partly because I have not done much with it and am not sophisticated. However, as long as I level matched the subs, set phase, ran DARO, there was nothing left fine enough for the damping control to "fix". In my measurements, there is no dip or peak that broad to correct without some compromise. The manual states to set it by ear by way of too lean or full at 80Hz. I have done that with just one decent bass guitar song, and it sounded fine (no revelatory moment of perfect integration ;) +/- 1, then worse beyond that.