Great Classical Recordings

Hello Great Hive of Knowledge -- and Opinion --

I can’t find what I am looking for. I know many great classical performances but not one that is actually RECORDED well in the sense that Muddy Watter’s Falk Singer is a great recording. Best I can describe it is you hear instruments arranged in space (a sort of sculpture), not a mush of sound. I am especially interested in operas and symphonies. but would also like to hear about smaller ensemble work 

Thank you in advance.

petar3

I used to call it a ’Wall of Sound’. But with over a hundred folks playing, it sort of goes with the territory. All modern recordings of small group stuff should be state of the art. Orchestral works that I consider well recorded in the sense that you stated are few in number. The one that quickly comes to mind is:

Beethoven Symphonies 5&7, Weiner Philharmoniker, Carlos Kleiber

DG  1975 / 1976 / 2003    SACD

Il Barbiere di Siviglia, Academy of St Martin in the Fields, Sir Neville Marriner

Thomas Allen, Agnes Baltsa, Philips 1993

All on CD.

We have to live with the choices made in the mixing room.

Cheers

Any recording by Jordi Savall is excellent, but mostly on CD/SACD.  He ranges the gamut from medieval to Beethoven. 

Beethoven Symphonies 5&7, Weiner Philharmoniker, Carlos Kleiber

DG  1975 / 1976 / 2003    SACD

This is much better than the original LP or CD but, imho, it ain't a great recording.  OTOH, it is a great performance.

Any recording by Jordi Savall is excellent, but mostly on CD/SACD.  He ranges the gamut from medieval to Beethoven. 

Yes and his recent Beethoven symphonies 1-5 are outstanding, especially in multichannel.

For consistency in recording quality, try these labels: Channel Classics, Challenge Classics, Alpha, Concertgebouw Live, 2L, Pentatone, Sono Luminus, TRPTK.