Anyone Get a Degritter for Xmas?

I'm thinking about taking the plunge and would love to hear owner experiences!
dhcod

The Degritter might be the best 3K I’ve spent on my analog system. I pretty much only buy audiophile reissues, 98% of the time brand new still sealed….. they still have dust and plastic debris from the manufacturer. First thing I do, is take out the new record and run it through the full 10 min Heavy setting on the degritter. I’ve compared the 3 settings and Heavy gives the best result.  While that’s chugging along, I put the album cover in a 4mil protection outer sleeve with a pocket from Vinyl Storage Solutions in Canada. I then put the record in a Diskeeper Audiophile Inner Sleeve from Sleve City.  Your records, new or old, will never sound better and will be extremely protected. If you can manage, get one. 

@jgreen19: The Vinyl Storage Solutions outer sleeves are fantastic, aren’t they? I recently put all my LP’s in various models of Michael’s sleeves: 2mil resealable double pocket with 2mil multi-purpose on gatefold covers, two 2mil resealable double pocket on gatefold double LP’s, 4mil resealable double pocket on thin-jacket UK LP's (including 60’s Beatles, etc.), 3mil single pocket with flap on some LP’s, 3mil no flap on sonically mediocre LP’s and 12" 45’s. It took a week to sleeve them all, but now I just have to do LP’s as they come in.

The VSS inner sleeves are real nice too: just like the MoFi, but thicker: offered in both 3mil and 4mil, the MoFi being 2mil.

@bdo24: YES!!!!! they are incredible!! I only get the 4 mil which has a disadvantage of taking up more space than the thinner ones but I just feel safer with the extra protection (I also have 3 kids!!). How do you like the 4mil inner sleeves?  I’m IN LOVE with the Diskeeper Audiophile Inner Sleeves. I’m pretty sure they are 4 mil. But what I like the most about them is they don’t crumple up when putting them in the VSS pockets. I also like the arrows pointing to the opening. I always point the arrows to the side when putting them in the VSS pockets to keep dust out of the top.  So easy… Im also crazy… I replace ALL my inner sleeves.  I’ve noticed dust and debris in brand new mofi or QRP inner sleeves… that with the combo of loving the Audiophile Diskeeper sleeves so much I just replace all of them. I know this thread is about Degritter, but after you clean your records you want them to stay clean and protected so that’s what I do. 

@jgreen19: Like your preferred inner sleeves, the thickness of the VSS inners prevents them from "bunching up" as you slide the LP into either the cardboard jacket or outer plastic sleeve, as can happen with the thinner MoFi (and other) sleeves. The open end is also identified with arrows, as are the MoFi.

When I put everything into outer sleeves, I switched from having the LP’s inside the cardboard cover to outside, laying alongside the cover inside the outer sleeve. MUCH better! With the VSS double-pocket models (available in both 2mil and 4mil versions, and with either a resealable or tuckable flap), the open end of the sleeve can be at either the top or the backside. I installed mine with the open end on the same side as the cardboard cover’s open side. With the LP installed in the LP rack, the record is completely protected from dust.

One reason I don’t like the IKEA Kallax racks---popular with record collectors---is that the back of the rack is open, allowing dust easy access to the open end of LP covers. The EKET I prefer has a closed back, preventing that. $55 for a 4-cubicle model. I have twelve of them, stacked three high by four wide.

I didn’t wait for Christmas, my birthday is early December so I have it now (my present to me). Now that I have the Degritter! I can pop a reasonably clean LP in the machine go do something else, and come back to a clean and dry album.

I am newly back into vinyl and I will buy used albums without fear because I clean them well. Kirmuss in conjunction with a Spin clean is what I had been using. I would stack LPs for a cleaning session which would take hours and hours to get through, I still stack really dirty albums until it is worth the time to clean them, but they now get the Spin clean, Kirmuss, Degritter treatment. The dirty albums stack goes faster too because I have changed the procedure to incorporate the Degritter. Degritter is a game changer!