Ethernet Clocking

i had previously reported that adding an Antelope 10m rubidium clock to the Etherregen results in major tightening of soundstage and location of individual instruments. To my great surprise adding filtering on the BNC 75 Ohms connection between clock and Etherregen results in substantial additional benefits. The filter used is a Mini-Circuits BLP-10.7-75+ DCto11MHZ model.

We are only beginning to understand how to maintain clean clocking on digital connections, it is of paramount importance to SQ.

antigrunge2

@lmcmalo ,

I expect you would have achieved better results with a $70 USB isolator, a $100 secondary supply, and $50 cable, than the $400 cable, but that is just a guess.

It seems obvious to me that you understand Ethernet at an implementation level, and your comment about the $10 clock shows you have a good grasp of what it takes to make a DAC work.

Unfortunately, there is a lot of inertia in this hobby and I would expect most you will run into on this and similar forums, certainly the heavy posters, are 50+ if not 60+. They grew up with CD players and TOSLINK, back when jitter could be 3-5nsec, and there was no way to properly address it. Ditto for low tap upsampling, poorer on chip analog, synchronous USB, etc.  It's 2021, but the mindset is still from 1990ish. The problems that used to exist and have been long solved, are still being brought up like they exist and are just as substantial ... though some implementation appear to be recreating the problems of 1990. There is a whole portion of the industry that survives on keeping that mind set alive, hence you are fighting memory, inertia, and a motivated crowd working to discredit you, or at least people like you.

@cindyment

you pretend to know it all yet refer to using DSP to adjust your system to whatever suits you. That alone in my mind disqualifies you as a serious audiophile. DSP requires substantial computing power and that creates serious issues with SQ. All your remarks about packet switching and buffering miss the point entirely. Clocking accuracy Through The Chain has major impact on the signal conversion into analogue and if you cańt hear it keep believing whatever. That major designers from DCM and Schiit make the same argument should at least make you think again; Insulting others as retrograde bumpkins to elevate oneself disqualifies you entirely. Over and out.

I'm more likely to seriously listen to what ag2 has to say.

He knows "a thing or two, about a thing or two."

DSP doesn't create serious issues with SQ. Where do you come up with this stuff? How many AD and DA converters are you using that an external clock is needed? 

@djones51,

as usual barking up the wrong tree: just try Roon with and without DSP. If you can‘t hear the difference, I can‘t help you. And the clocking issues I am talking about definitely have nothing to do with synchronising different DACs. Tiresome…