How to tame a bright system?

Hi all,

I have been facing a problem, the brightness of my system:

Bluesound n130  --- Chord dave ---- audioquest fire (xlr) ---- Etude  ---- copper wire ---- B&W 606s2.

The brightness shows up, particularly after I upgrade the cable from the chord company clearway (RCA) to the AQ fire (XLR).  AQ fire really improved everything. However, the high frequency is too cristal to my ears (especially the "ding, ding" sound from the piano, I believe most of the people would love it but not me .... ).  I like the cheap clearway, but it does not have the excellent bass and the dynamic offered by fire. I also tried with AQ Mackenzie (copper) which gives a proper sound but lacks space. I also found the vocal of fire is a bit forward (I am not really big fun of forwarding vocal).

Can someone help to recommend a cable that has everything of clearway but more dynamic and extension at the low end? I think this would be an ideal cable for my current system.

If possible, please help to focus on the cable rather than the other components. I know there is a lot to improve, but not at the moment.  Thanks a lot guys!  ;-) 

tension255

I have noticed many years back that I am very sensitive to the high frequency sound, specifically the violin and soprano.  I think the response to the frequency spectrum can be very individually dependent.  B&W speakers are very respectful brand with many ardent followers but I could not handle it.  Later on I noticed I could not handle any speakers of which the tweeters are made of metals or ceramics after I auditioned about close to 15 brands with more on the different lines of the products.  At the end, I chose Dynaudio, which has a soft dome as a tweeter, and have sticked with the brand close to 20 years.  However, the tweeter material is only part of the equation.  Electronics makes difference as well.  After settling with Dynaudio, I still had the issue with high frequency, even though much improved.  The next thing I did was to acquire a tube pre-amp.  With the hypothesis that I could be more sensitive to the high frequency, I started to pay attention to the frequency response of different brands.  I paid close attention to my experience to the highest frequency a pre-amp has before its db drops.  Amazingly, I found those pre-amp with narrower frequency at high end, likely deemed to be an inferior design in common wisdom, works for me the best.  In another word, I need to avoid the pre-amp which has an extended frequency beyond 24KHz.  After about another auditions of 10 different brands, I noticed the positive correlation between the level of my listening fatigue and the highest frequency a pre-amp can reach before it drops in response.  Stereophile publishes the frequency response for pre-amp.  I noticed for a specific brand, the frequency response curves are similar for different lines under that brand.  So in case, the frequency response curve for a specific product is not available, the other products under that brand could be a reference.

Go and get integrated tube like Willenston r88 not expensive and have a good review. Your speaker intend to be bright if you didn't match your gear like amp or integrated. Even if you keep changing or try different cables it will come out bright sound. Good luck and hope you resolve yourr6looking for.

Having over 20 years in system upgrades or mods.

upgrade your loudspeakers Xover unless you spend over $20 k 

90% of the time the Xover has average parts at best .i hav3 called out personally 

several high end mfg and in a few instances hung up on for telling the truth .

just go to Humble homemade Hifi capacitor test.which you can literally taylor the Sonic character through your speakers, another  Vacuum tube amp, or preamp , In digital R2R dacs  sound very analog ,as well as vacuum tube dacs .even cables can tune your system  tweaks high end fuses ,and power cords.

I had the same problem with my B&W speakers. I purchased acoustic panels but the order was cancelled, so I took those funds and purchased a new preamp. It was the best decision I ever made. I don’t need the acoustic panels now and the system sounds amazing.

Also, why are you using such expensive XLR cables?