Headphones vs full range speakers

I've never had any really high end headphones. I had like a $500 pair of Seinhauser earbuds for a while. I thought they sounded really good even pushing off a phone. Question is who has gone from listening to speakers for your main listening pleasure to headphones or vice versa. Can get something like the top of the line Focal Utopia headphones while pricey they are in line with "mid grade" speakers. 

I don't entertain often at all and the wife does not listen anymore. Just started thinking why not simplify and get some kick butt headphones. 

mofojo

I use the Sennheiser 800 phones and the superb Luxman P-750u headphone amp exclusively now and have no notion of going back to standard stereo now. The levels of detail are extraordinary and far superior in my opinion than speakers. The Senns. are a very difficult set of phones to drive and not any old headamp will do to let them shine but the Luxman does that in spades. My music speciality is classical piano and it is trully amazing just how different pianists sound and my setup lets me get right to the heart of the music without outside distractions. No I won't be going back to speakers.

I never knew how good headphones could sound until I tried Stax earspeakers. They are truly in a differnt class than anything else I have ever heard. The spatial experience is different, of course, but very involving in it's own way to me. The speed, resolution, and immediacy are 'better' than any speakers I have yet heard. In fact, if there is a track where I can't make out some of the lyrics during normal listening, I usually can with the Stax. I started out witha humble SRD4/SR40 system and gradually moved up to SRX Mk3 earspeakers and a SRM-T1S tube driver as my budget increased.

To me it's not either/or; it's horses for courses. @tony1954 put it very well.

When i succeed to install my relatively good but low cost audio system in his rightful three dimensional embeddings controls space, i throw all my SEVEN ,dynamics, electro-acoustic,magneplanar,or hybrid headphones in a drawer for ever...

Same here, except that I still keep one in the box, only for display. I sold the rest. The costliest one I owned was the Beyerdynamic T1.

Question is who has gone from listening to speakers for your main listening pleasure to headphones or vice versa.

I went the other way round although I lived with both for a considerable period of time during my younger days. I tried to like headphones but couldn’t really get on with it. The reasons are personal. Main reason is I do not like something resting or clamping on my head and secondly, I can’t seem to listen to headphones for long and find the listening experience to be far less enjoyable than loudspeakers.

I have a great headphones setup and a great 2-channel setup, with a Holo May DAC used for both of them. I split listening time about 50/50. I've got a pair of Susvaras and a pair of Utopias,  with Audeze LCD5 showing up this week.... Should be getting a pair of KLH Model 5 speakers in another few weeks...