Streaming 102

Happy holidays! I posted here 2 weeks ago about entering the streaming domain and got many helpful replies. I did get a used Bluesound Node2 and have been streaming Quobuz. I can't believe the sound, especially for such an entry level product, however I have been intrigued by the reviews of the Shiit Yggdrasil DAC. If I connect the Node2 to it would I get the full benefit or should I consider another streamer? A good friend has the Lumin T1 and I have heard the T2 is even better but as I say I the Shiit seems like the way to go. Thanks in advance for more replies, Joe.

joeyfed55

If you can somehow come up with the bucks for a T2 I think that might satisfy you for a very long time

@joeyfed55 if you just want a pure streamer, because you're going to use the Yggdrasil anyway, then the Lumin U1 or U1 Mini is what you'd want. The T2 includes analog outputs so you don't need a separate DAC. However maybe you want both the T2 and Yggdrasil to have the two DAC options, as they sound pretty different in my experience. You would need a separate DAC like the Yggy to connect your Esoteric CD player.

Alternatively the new Lumin P1 streaming DAC + preamp has digital and analog inputs, so you could also connect your CD player to that. And the P1 has its own outstanding analog output and all the Lumin streaming features. But it is more expensive.

Of course there are other streaming-only and streaming DAC options, besides Lumin, but I do think Lumin is one of the best choices which is why we decided to carry them.

Thanks, upon further reflection is it time to sell the SACD player and look for a transport/streamer/DAC to integrate all? This will be an end game for me, no upgraditis to follow. What could I expect for 5k used? I appreciate  it.

I think if I kept the SACD player I could connect it to a T2 and use it's DAC. It would probably sound better as the Esoteric is old and I know DACs have evolved significantly. The Esoteric has always pleased me with it's sound though. Decisions, decisions, decisions but I am not in a hurry and will keep options open. Can deal with the Node2 and turntable while the player gets it's drawer repaired.