Streaming 102

Happy holidays! I posted here 2 weeks ago about entering the streaming domain and got many helpful replies. I did get a used Bluesound Node2 and have been streaming Quobuz. I can't believe the sound, especially for such an entry level product, however I have been intrigued by the reviews of the Shiit Yggdrasil DAC. If I connect the Node2 to it would I get the full benefit or should I consider another streamer? A good friend has the Lumin T1 and I have heard the T2 is even better but as I say I the Shiit seems like the way to go. Thanks in advance for more replies, Joe.

joeyfed55

What improvements are you looking for and what sound characteristics are most important to you? This is important in choosing the right DAC (or anything really). IMO both streamer and DAC are important, but I think you’re on the right track upgrading the DAC first. The Yggie is great, but there are a ton of great DACs out there of various flavors and architectures so it pays to take your time and do your due diligence.

I guess what I need to know is what 1k or so streamer I could pair with the Shiit Yggdrasil that would better a Lumin T2. Also a consideration is I have many cds that I play with an Esoteric X-01 D2. Should I consider putting a transport into the mix that would allow for playing/upsampling my cds and streaming and sell the SACD player? You can probably tell I am a novice so excuse my ignorance, and thank you.

Give the Denafrips Pontus ll Dac a try. I think you will be pleasantly surprised!

Thanks soix4, I am in no hurry as I am really enjoying the Node2. Just fishing for some experience and knowledge from the community. I mostly listen to jazz and classical and have 4.5 records that I play on the Kuzma StabiR with 4point11 in addition to many cds. The rest is a Luxman 509X, Pass XP-25 phono and ML 11As with REL S812s.