How do you know when a stereo sounds good?

When do you know your system is pleasing to listen to? How do you conclusively prove to yourself that your system sounds good to you? How do you determine that you enjoy listening to music through your stereo? Do you have a suite of measurements that removes all shadow of a doubt that you are getting good sound, sound that you enjoy? Please share.

128x128ted_denney

This is a question that gets me in trouble all the time; maybe in a different way than you are asking. I have had my system set to where it sounded really, really good; better than anything I have ever heard. I am sure from reading this forum that it  isn't the greatest out there but for me and my limited experience it's damn good. But then your question comes to mind and I start tinkering with speaker placement, crossover setting and such thinking it could be better. Unfortunately I usually lose the magic and have to start all over. It's important to me though to get it right with the equipment I have before I start thinking about upgrading anymore.

"Do you have a suite of measurements that removes all shadow of a doubt that you are getting good sound, sound that you enjoy? "

In the spirit of audio as a hobby, you analyze the frequency response in your room. Being a gear head, kinda like having the dyno report of horsepower or the time slip from the quarter mile run.

Beyond that, IMO it's not about the music. Music is emotion. That can be stirred with a minimum level of performance with equipment from Best Buy in a bad room.

Base on some threads, some treat their system as if it's a musical instrument and they're the musician. Not my style.

When do you know your system is pleasing to listen to?

It's when the size of the sweet spot doubles and my S.O. curls up next to me, the corners of her eyes showing promise and mystery.

She turns to me and says, "I like this." And I'm not sure if she's talking about the music. Or something else. 

@dadork 

"It's important to me though to get it right with the equipment I have before I start thinking about upgrading anymore."

It is sad how many people in the hobby miss this point. Equipment flippers, take note.

Frank

because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns—the ones we don't know we don't know.

Is it clear now?