How do you know when a stereo sounds good?

When do you know your system is pleasing to listen to? How do you conclusively prove to yourself that your system sounds good to you? How do you determine that you enjoy listening to music through your stereo? Do you have a suite of measurements that removes all shadow of a doubt that you are getting good sound, sound that you enjoy? Please share.

128x128ted_denney

How do you determine that you enjoy listening to music through your stereo? 

I guess I'm not sure what you're asking. Taken literally, this seems to be asking for another perspective besides my own internal voice. It's like asking the question, "Am I in pain?" That's not a question I can make sense of without some kind of science fiction scenario.

If your question is, rather, "What can I do to experiment with my stereo to see if my experience changes for the better?" then there is a wealth of literature available, including many free videos on youtube, etc. 

When Listening to music becomes an “event”, where I experience the music and become emotionally involved.  When the music moves me and my setup pays for itself with each song played..  When there is almost nothing else I would rather be doing.. When my systems disappears and only the music is left.. 

When I’m not looking on here for new gear… 

I know it sounds good when the music coming out of the speakers matches what I think it ought to sound like.

When I play a recording I've heard a million times and hear something new I never noticed before.

When I get goosebumps or chills I know its good. However, the real test is certain songs will bring me to tears.