Ethernet Clocking

i had previously reported that adding an Antelope 10m rubidium clock to the Etherregen results in major tightening of soundstage and location of individual instruments. To my great surprise adding filtering on the BNC 75 Ohms connection between clock and Etherregen results in substantial additional benefits. The filter used is a Mini-Circuits BLP-10.7-75+ DCto11MHZ model.

We are only beginning to understand how to maintain clean clocking on digital connections, it is of paramount importance to SQ.

antigrunge2

@antigrunge2 Well, cheap clock, relative thing. I observe many claim positive results with similarly priced clocks. Whatever, I'm perfectly content with my present network setup, no more switches for me.

I use netgear bridges at home (4 of them daisy chained in one room) at about 25 bucks each with their non-audiophile walwarts and they sound perfect :-)

“the devil is in the detail”
@antigrunge2

I concur and that’s quite a audio system you’ve got…wow! It certainly reflects your pursuit and passion for our hobby. I’ve much simpler system compare to yours :-)

@lmcmalo @cakyol ,

the difference between pure digital transmission and audio lies in the analogue domain, where there is no buffering and noise from the digital domain creates havoc, The only way to detect that reliably is using your ears.

To those who believe that a $2 piece of wire and a $20 switch suffice: we all believe in something…

@lmcmalo I wish you could come round to hear my system with its ‘special switch’ and Ethernet RFI filtering. I would give you a demonstration of streaming from Qobuz with the Ethernet signal direct from the router, and then via the special switch and filtering. The difference is stunning, I do this demo a lot to friends and family, none of which have HiFi systems and are inexperienced listeners. They are all amazed by the difference, ‘night and day’ is a commonly used expression.

Once you’d heard this difference you could use your valid experience of designing to help develop even greater products for us all enjoy our streamed music more.

Only problem is, I’m in the UK, but if you’re passing by, please arrange to drop in.