Where the heck are all these manufacturers coming from!

After being out of the HiFi hobby for about 15 years, covid lock down found me playing with some of my stored equipment. After being in the HiFi business for over 40 years, I though I knew who all the players were. A few forums, such as this, and a subscription to Stereoplile has me scratching my head over the plethora of super highend HiFi manufactures that I've never heard of and the unlimited number of inexpensive Chinese HiFi products. Near every day that I peruse these forums or YouTube channels I'm introduced to yet another amp, preamp, DAC, speaker manufacturer I never heard of.

And the prices.....Folks throw around recommendations for $10,000 and much more products with abandon. I just recently saw a 3.5" jumper cable for $39,000 and an 8' piece of speaker wire for $59,000.........I guess I should have stayed in the business instead of retiring!

rbertalotto

The pandemic has been very good for the audio industry as a whole, they are getting record sales. So many popping up taking advantage of this or the ones that were smaller are now larger due to larger sales etc. i suspect it will deflate soon enough as the pandemic come to and end and people start doing more out side their homes.

The vintage market has been especially crazy with silly prices and that's going to crash soon enough. I suspect. Hopefully not as I've got a bunch of stuff I'm going to be unloading soon lol. 

Digital streaming has created new category of products, manufacturers. Headphones another area of great growth.

On the other hand, LS3/5As which you probably remember from over 40 years ago are still being sold today by like 5 companies from over $3K to knockoffs for less.

A millionaire? LOL Buy and sell a house in CA. Work like an animal for 49 years and then get treated like one too. I was 13 years old kicking rocks down the tracks walking between my 3 jobs..

I like the sound of Billionaire better. If I started counting out loud I'd doubt I'd get to 750,000,000 before I fell over dead.. Can you imaging counting a billion dollars in ones.

I've got 350 lbs of pennies nickels and dimes and another 200 lbs of quarters.

I was going to cash in all the coins but I'm to lazy to cart it to a bank. About 50 lb of quarters is 1000 dollars. I say there is a really nice piece of gear there if I'd cash in. OR save it. I'm pretty good at that too. 

OP I suppose it depended on what you collect too. I have a few pure silver door stops.. I wear bib overalls or double chap canvas pants and leather work boots that I've had fixed and resoled 2 times. 

I don't change wives either, to darn expensive. Same one for 48 years..

Money has never made me happy nor the love of it. The pursuit of wealth use to be my primary goal in life. MAN did that get old.. It paid great dividends in the long run for just a few years of really hard work (about 19 years) @ 80+ hour a week.

I don't drink, I don't use tobacco, BUT I smoke and have grown cannabis.:-)

I've been a Mcintosh fan and collector for 50 years. Thoren, Russco/QRK/Sparts, TTs. Every now and then I add or remove a vendor from the list. Just added a 2030 Thoren, # 36. 7 that are real peaches..

BE FRUGAL, pay attention to what you buy. NEW? Very seldom.. at my home..

Gotta go by some rabbit food..

Regards