Nobsound springs - load range

I want to try out the Nobsound springs as damping footers (mainly under my mono blocks and my streamer). I ordered a first set of them and now I wonder about the amount of springs to put in for different weights of equipment.I remember one post that said it works best when 50% compressed (was it @millercarbon?).

I measured the compression of the springs, it takes ~2.5 kg per spring to compress it to 50%. Based on 50% compression target, this yields the following sweet spot configurations (only stable ones, total equipment weight):
- 3 units, 3 springs each: 22.5 kg
- 4 units, 3 springs each (or 3 units, 4 springs each): 30 kg - 4 units, 4 springs each: 40 kg
- 3 units, 6 springs each: 45 kg
- 3 units, 7 springs each: 52.5 kg
- 4 units, 6 springs each: 60 kg
- 4 units, 7 springs each: 70 kgLoad can be considerably higher than expected (somewhere I read about 36kg, which is presumably for 4 units).

Any comments?What about ~10 kg streamer, seems to be too light to compress the springs enough? Does anyone have experience with Nobsound springs under light equipment like this?
Based on your experiences: Would you even dare to put an 80kg floor standing speaker on Nobsound springs?
hm9001

Some thoughts based on my experience meanwhile. I have Nobsound springs under my Streamer/DAC, my heavy mono blocks (44 kg each) and my Powerfilter unit. My initial attempt with the DAC (~12.5 kg) was with 3 units with 3 springs each, as this was the least number of springs per unit that I thought was stable in itself. This results in a situation where the Nobsounds don't  compress much. The hearing result was intimidating: added sharpness, less resolution and less dynamics. 

I then tried to use less springs and ended up with 4 units with 1 spring per unit. At least for the 12kg DAC this is still stable enough. On one side (where the transformers sit), I have two springs. In total this results in a situation where all units are compressed about equally and about 50% (gap of the unit compared to uncompressed, by rough eyesight). The acoustic result is great and I kept the springs since then: Instruments appear to resonate more freely, there is more room, and bass apears to reach deeper. The number of springs corresponds nicely to the rule of thumb mentioned in the OP (2.5kg per spring). For me this is helpful to determine at least a starting point for finetuning by listening.

For the monoblocks, the result of adding the springs is very similar and synergetic to the DAC. Under the power filter, the effect is the least. I would not claim that it would withstand a blind test, but I kept the springs there for optical reasons.

I really like the ideas of dampening the springs with foam ear plugs and/or PTFE tape. I will definitely try (on my DAC first).

I’ll keep this short although I have a lot to write. I am still experimenting with the number of springs on each footer. Patience would be required for this sort of exercise as there are many possible configurations from one to full seven springs with each footer, placed under the feet or chassis of the component, 3 or 4 units for each component etc.

I’m halfway through with the experiment on the integrated amp in the main system. The Nobsounds are placed directly below the component’s feet. In the Solid Tech brochure, 1-3mm gap is said to be optimal for the best sound reproduction. However, this is not the case with my system. Initially I tried 6 springs for all four Nobsound footers and this actually gave the best sound so far, although I later found that I need to reduce one spring each from the footers at the rear due to the unbalanced weight distribution of the component which is heavier at the front. I then reduced the springs to the minimum (3 springs at front footers, 2 at rear footers) and slowly got back up to 4 springs at the front, 3 at the rear, and I’m currently at 5 springs front, 4 springs rear. The current gap with this set up is 7mm which is slightly above 50% compression.

The sound got better when the gap got larger from 2mm to the current 7mm. I’ll add one spring to each footer tomorrow to get the gap up to 8 or 9mm tomorrow. I haven’t tried the full 7 springs but I think I may skip this one.

Improvements with an optimized set up include a sound that has better clarity, air and detail. The tone of instruments sounds more illuminated with a tube like glow. There’s more air between instruments which gave an airy feel and the bass sounds clearer with better definition and control.

I’ve briefly tried the Nobsounds on my Naim amps in the second system. As I don’t have much time to experiment, I didn’t do any adjustments to the springs. When placed on the preamp, I could not hear much difference. When placed on the power amp, the sound got worse. I then realize one cannot expect instant good results by installing these without much effort.

A note is the springs may not be in a perfect vertical position especially when using minimal springs ie. 1 or 2. The springs may be slightly inclined and this can affect sound quality too.

Nobsounds installed on the preamp in my second system. Not much difference here.

Nobsounds on the power amp which made the sound worse. After I checked on the installation, I noticed the footers have different degree of compression, some smaller gap and some with larger gap. Also, few springs and top aluminum pieces are in a slant position. When I looked at the internals of the amp, I then realize why the footers at the right have higher compression - a large toroidal transformer is on the right side on the amp.

Need more time and effort to get things right here.

After having some experience installing the Nobsounds, I just wonder how other isolation products such as Isoacoustics Orea or Townshend Pods address uneven load distribution of components. I presume sound quality will be affected if the footers are not properly loaded to their design performance parameters.

Try them without the included rubber pads too. Try them under component base not under existing feet. I’ve only used them on tube amps (and turntables) so can’t speak for solid state.