Turntable and cartridge setup known for a marvelous bottom end.

I could use some advice. I am thinking on upgrading my Pro-Ject Classic turntable and Hana SH cartridge. My speakers are Monitor Audio Gold 300's. They go down to 30 which isn't quite a subwoofer spec, but because they are so darn close, I really don't want to complement them with one.

What I am thinking is rather that getting a sub, with your help I would upgrade my turntable setup with a turntable and cartridge that has been proven to have a wonderful bottom end.

So far my only guides have been the end of year rating in the audiophile magazines. For the most part these guides are over the place.

The only turntable that shows up in all the audiophile magazines is the very affordable Rega P-10. They all report that it is a splendid turntable, but not once have I heard of anyone marveling over its bottom end. I'd like to keep the $$$ down to around 10 grand. Thanks for your help.

The phono stage is Parasound JC3+ going to a Benchmark LA 4 pre-amp to a Benchmark AHB2 power amp.

Thanks

marshinski15

I'm playing Monitor Audio Gold Reference 20s and was blown away by implementing 1 10 inch sub. There's no way you will ever get the bottom you want without a sub. I would say borrow one and hear what I'm talking about

Trust me you will be satisfied

look at another table/cart after you have heard the sub in play

Good luck

Willy-T

I have personally moved from the Hana EH to the ML and if was a fantastic move. I also just recently moved the the Clearaudio Ovation from my Concept Wood and this was a fantastic move for bass and micro details. I can highly recommend these moves for better bass and even bass detail. Good luck!

The Monitor Audio Gold 300's may say they go down to 30hz, but the specs say the do that at -6Db.  Loudness drops off by half for every 3Db reduction, so you're down to 25% of the volume of the higher frequencies at that point.  And you'd have to see the curve to see how far down it is at 50Hz.

There is really no speaker on earth - unless it includes a powered sub in it - that truly gives you all the bass.

You need a sub(s) and it doesn't matter a lot where you put it.  Your ears can't localize frequencies that low.  You might be able to put it beside you or behind you.

And as MillerCarbon notes, using multiple subs makes the placement irrelevant.

Here is a huge problem for you, 16 by 16 foot room, and even worse if the room has an 8 foot ceiling.