Does Time alignment and Phase coherency make for a better loudspeaker?

Some designers strive for phase and time coherency.  Will it improve sound quality?

jeffvegas

Can any of you change the group delay on any part of your loudspeaker system from the listening position? Can any of you change absolute phase from your listening position?

I can and these are my observations. I can not hear any difference at all changing absolute phase. Both directions sound absolutely the same. I should also add that my entire system is balanced. I have Three drivers on each channel. The main speakers are one way ESLs. Then there are the subwoofers, two on each channel. The critical timing is between the subwoofers and the ESLs. I can delay either. Once you get into 5 ms delay or more deterioration in bass impact and definition becomes obvious. What you hear depends on the crossover point and slopes. You can see the group delays with a measurement microphone. The only way you can adjust them is with digital signal processing or moving loudspeakers. This is a problem for subwoofers because they work besy only in certain locations, in corners and up against walls. Being able to put the speakers where they work best and deal with the delays digitally is a large advantage. There are many processors on the market that will do this and some are very reasonably priced. 

Mijo like a said 11 bands of Analog eq below 120..... in each speaker Quattro and above, admittedly not everyone's cup of tea, java, pinot, etc.....

Wolf if time and phase don't matter, how is it your ears or the Decca tree  ( substitute in your favorite semi religious cult microphone array choice ) can discern the placement of those musicians on the stage ?

IF the answer is subtle differences in frequency response aka loudness, then matching drivers down to .25 db makes sense...

just my $1.50 , two cents adjusted for inflation...

I've owned Dunlavy SC-IIIs for about 3 years now and a key feature of their design is time/phase coherency.

I've tried a number of different speakers over the past 3 years but keep coming back to the Dunlavys. Whether or not it's the time/phase feature of their design that appeals to me over everything else, I cannot say.

Speakers which have come and gone in the last 3 years include Quad ESL57s, Merlin Music VSM BME, Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor M, Dali Mentor 6, Klipsch Heresy, Klipsch Khorns, Tyler Acoustic D2, and I'm sure a couple of others that escape me right now.

I just sold the Klipshorns this weekend and the Dunlavys are back in their rightful place.

I think my next adventure will be to try a set of the PureAudioProject speakers with a horn driver. Anyone have any thoughts on the PAP?