Different R2R DACs

Several months ago, I bought a used Hono Spring Level 2 DAC to see how R2R would compare against my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. I like the Brooklyn+ a lot, but, given the other components in my system, I'm thinking about building in a bit more warmth (without losing significant detail). I'm not looking for sweetness or holography. Unfortunately, I was thoroughly unimpressed by the way the Holo Spring Level 2 smeared the music. I returned it within two weeks. Perhaps the unit I bought was defective (though I bought it from a highly reputable seller of used equipment), but it started me wondering how much of the hype surrounding the newer generation of R2R DACs was just that, hype. However, I keep seeing so many glowing reviews of reasonably priced R2R DACS from Denafrips, Aqua, Lampizator and others. So I'm wondering whether I should give them another try. Unfortunately, where I live the only real (suboptimal) option is to audition by purchasing one DAC at a time. Before I start down that road again, I thought I would ask the collective brain of Audiogon about how much of a difference I might expect, as against the Holo Spring level 2, from a new Denafrips Pontus II or used Terminator II, a used Aqua La Voce or Lampizator, or some other R2R DAC under $5K. I don't require require resolutions greater than 24/192 (beyond which I discern no difference). I do like the option of MQA decoding, but it's not a deal breaker. 

The rest of my system (source components aside), at present, include a Parasound JC2 BP preamp, a pair of VTV Purifi mono amps, and Harbeth C7ES-3 speakers.

audio-satisficer

op

my 2 cents as follows

- harbeth c7 es3 is a warm toned speaker, with a full mid bass, you have done well to use solid state electronics, though i think purifi modules’ sound tend to ’flatten out’ the sound some, and given this, i would go with dac choices that have clarity and drive (but with smoothness as well), a slightly forward quality, rather than the overtly richer more euphonic sounding dac choices

- as such i would err in the direction of the dena terminator or better holo models, rather than aqua voce, mhdt, lampi’s, audio mirror, which definitely add more tubey warmth at some expense of prat, air, overt detail

- others that i suggest you might also try, are chord dacs (hugo tt2 for instance), soekris 1541/2541, or benjamin zwickels mojo dac - each with great clarity and smoothness but without the robotic, extruded quality of sound that comes with lesser, cheaper dacs that have upfront treble

- as you move up in cost in the dac game, i find that ’you get your cake and eat it too’... meaning, you get space, air, effortless detail, but with no trace of digital grain or mechanical quality to the sound - and you can choose a slightly leaner/cleaner solid state type or presentation, or one with a touch of tubey richness and smoothness, but still with excellent pace, drive and timing

Copy and pasted from another thread:

Rockna wavelight is one hell of a DAC.

It’s and FGPA R2R DAC that has the clarity of a chip based design, massive soundstage, 3D Layering, and a very accurate timbre. Bass has weight, density, agility, and is very transparent to the source.

You might want to throw that on your list.

Goes up another level if you use a good power cable and aftermarket fuse.

I am using a PC with a modified Matrix H USB card, battery powered, into the Rockna USB input via Silver/Gold foil USB cable. (Roon/HQPlayer DSD 512)

Rockna has the weight and density of an R2R design, with the transparency/Clarity of a chip DAC.

You might want to give it a listen.

You should try the wyred4sound 10th anniversary dac, it's the most analog sounding dac I've had in my system and the reviewers are saying the same thing, 

The recent Stereophile review of the Sonnet Morpheus makes a point I think most of us already appreciate: it's all about implementation. The Morpheus is an R2R DAC that according to the review manages to achieve the stereotypical virtues of both R2R and DS chip DACs at an attractive price point. Supposedly it gets the tone right (as a good R2R should) yet is transparent and linear (like a good DS). Piqued my curiosity.

For kicks I'll be taking one for a spin and comparing it to some (for me) pricey and well regarded R2R and DS DACs.