Different R2R DACs

Several months ago, I bought a used Hono Spring Level 2 DAC to see how R2R would compare against my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+. I like the Brooklyn+ a lot, but, given the other components in my system, I'm thinking about building in a bit more warmth (without losing significant detail). I'm not looking for sweetness or holography. Unfortunately, I was thoroughly unimpressed by the way the Holo Spring Level 2 smeared the music. I returned it within two weeks. Perhaps the unit I bought was defective (though I bought it from a highly reputable seller of used equipment), but it started me wondering how much of the hype surrounding the newer generation of R2R DACs was just that, hype. However, I keep seeing so many glowing reviews of reasonably priced R2R DACS from Denafrips, Aqua, Lampizator and others. So I'm wondering whether I should give them another try. Unfortunately, where I live the only real (suboptimal) option is to audition by purchasing one DAC at a time. Before I start down that road again, I thought I would ask the collective brain of Audiogon about how much of a difference I might expect, as against the Holo Spring level 2, from a new Denafrips Pontus II or used Terminator II, a used Aqua La Voce or Lampizator, or some other R2R DAC under $5K. I don't require require resolutions greater than 24/192 (beyond which I discern no difference). I do like the option of MQA decoding, but it's not a deal breaker. 

The rest of my system (source components aside), at present, include a Parasound JC2 BP preamp, a pair of VTV Purifi mono amps, and Harbeth C7ES-3 speakers.

audio-satisficer

The best way would be with different speakers or EQ. Switching around DACS  isn't going to do it unless you buy one purposely designed to have a sound.  IMO DACs should be transparent to the system. 

+1 Audio Mirror Tubadour III.  I had the Audio Mirror Tubadour III SE.  It is an excellent sounding DAC.

Responding to Charles1Dad. I can see how it could be interpreted that way. Sorry to have created the misimpression.

audio-satisficer,

I might have missed it, but did you give a budget for how much you want to spend on a new DAC?

I'm still using the original Schiit Bifrost multibit and I'm thinking about getting the Pontus, but I'm not in a great hurry. I just bought new speakers and an amp this year and my wife will go nuts if I come home with anything but groceries for a while!

All the best.

JD