Need help with MM cartridge choice

I've stumbled across a good deal on a Rega Planar 3 fitted with a Grace G-747 that looks to be an excellent choice for my second / MM table.  It has an old ADC on it that almost certainly needs a new stylus and I was never very fond of the ADC sound to begin with.  I've had good luck with B&O, Ortofon, Grace, Empire and Shure, but everything except Ortofon is ancient history now.

This table would be used for vinyl that can't really benefit from being spun on the Sota.  Think fair-to-good condition second-hand albums cleaned ultrasonically with minor visible scuffs that have seen a lot of play.  I prefer a neutral tone balance with flat frequency response.  Specs in the tonearm manual are pretty thin; 4 to 10 gram standard cartridge weight and nothing more.

Presuming the table & arm meet the mechanical, operating and geometry inspections when I go back tomorrow, I'd like some suggestions on an appropriate modern-era cartridge match.  I'd like to keep the investment ~$300 and definitely want something for which replacement styli are still made.  For those of you who haven't seen my posts before or checked my system page, I run a McIntosh C50 with a MC302 amp into Rogers Studio 1 speakers.  My primary table is a Sota Sapphire with a Graham Phantom Supreme and a DV XX2 MkII.

Thanks for your consideration and I look forward to your replies!

effischer
Consider the Soundsmith Otello. 

It's $100 over your budget but what you're getting is a cart that performs above it's price point, and rebuild cost is $200.

I use one as a backup. Excellent performer.
People recommended SoundSmith cartridges made by Peter Ledermann (aka retipper on this forum). I asked Peter (SoundSmith) about vintage cartridges in this thread (quote below). You will see Grace in his list.

Me: 

I’m curious, what is a well designed MM/MI or MC from the past (not new) in your opinion ?

Peter Ledermann:

Obviously Strain Gauge designs, although none have survived well, which is why I don’t work on them. Early Fairchild Stereo units. Some still are fantastic. Stax, for its cleverness, Dynavector 23 and similar, due to low mass (but terribly fragile), some Ortofon MI designs, Grace, and of course the B&O, upon which my line has evolved from. I have to say that as a person, VDH has befriended me from the beginning, and upon meeting and seeing my work, asked me "Are we competitors, or colleagues?"

I said it would be an honor to be considered a colleague; so he said "GOOT!" and shook my hand heartily and said - "What ever you need - always call me!" I have never taken him up on that, but I am always warmly welcomed by him whenever we happen to meet. The generous invitation was more than I needed or deserved. Indeed a gentleman and innovator, at a minimum. There is much to the man.

Peter Ledermann

Update on this:  Did some final tweaks on VTA and VTF and am very satisfied with the results.  Substantially better sound quality and tracking ability than the Pioneer PL-15 II I had been using as a second table.  The ATC 440 does indeed perform well, especially now that the VTA is more correct (the arm had been set ~2 mm or so too high).

Longer term, I may either replace the stylus with the current 540 version or install an Ortofon OM with a new OM30 stylus I found scrounging through my stuff.  The ATC has one serious design drawback for me:  It is very hard to see the stylus during alignment.  I recently developed a permanent visual impairment that makes cartridge alignment a special torture.  The ATC design is one I could never align for myself now while Ortofon, vintage Grace and Grado remain feasible.  Fortunately that's a decision I don't need to make anytime soon.
congrats - bet it sounds great ! enjoy. sorry to hear of the vision struggles. Rock on !
jim
Have a look at the Garrott bros line of Phono cartridges. You will find one in your budget and won't be disappointed. Also with the current exchange rate, you will save 0.25$ on the dollar!