Whether to do anything about the limitations of our ears

In the thread 'How do you listen?' appears the following:

"We do not hear all frequencies equally well at all volume levels. Low bass and high treble in particular need to be at a fairly high level to be heard at all."

This asks a big question:

Should we listen as our ears hear, with their inability to apprehend all audio band frequencies at the same intensity? As we are of course compelled to do when listening to live music.

Or when listening to recorded music should we adjust the intensity of particular frequencies we don't hear so well?  This will of course give a different presentation from what we hear live.

Or, to put it a different way, should audio manufacturers design equipment to present the frequency range as flat as a microphone perceives it, or as our ears perceive it?

But a microphone is just another flawed ear, with its own imperfections as regards intensity across the audio frequency range (and others of course).

Or, again: a flat response can be flat only as the means of listening presents it.

128x128clearthinker
I neglected to consider their accumulated lifetime memory of how things sounded to them.

This is a powerful realization. Yes, there are certain frequencies which are gone, even by mid forties. But listening is different than hearing because listening involves attention and interpretation. There's a reason that we attend to what older scientists, physicians, chefs, etc. say about their area of expertise — because they have developed intelligence and habits which yield good judgment.

The same applies to experienced listeners, regardless of their physical hearing loss, as long as it's not dramatic or if it bears upon the very aspect of sound which is under analysis at the moment.
I have a couple of book shelves full of books on the subject of Psychoacoustics, many of the books are rare. Half these books are above the level of an audio engineering degree from a non ABET accredited school. Psychoacoustics is the scientific study of sound perception and audiology. You can expect it to take 5 to 6 years to learn something about the subject spending 10’s of thousands of dollars. Mostly what you will discover is there are more questions to be answered. Enjoy.
Very true....

Please would you recommend for me a few of the best there is from your own experience...Titles and writers...

I made my system S.Q. improved only after figure it out for myself some basic aspect of this field....It is very complex and is like medecine an art based on pure science ....

Thanks in advance,

My deepest respects

+1 oldhvy
Seems to pursue what you subjectively favor is better than changing audio parameters then trying to convince yourself it’s a sonic improvement.  Sometimes the head should get out of the way of the heart?