How do you listen?

I listen to a lot of (classical) music. Most of the time I try to listen at concert hall volumes (really loud) so as to try and recreate the feeling I have  being in the hall.  But  recently I’ve discovered I can get satisfaction listening at moderate levels.  There is a certain relaxed quality to listening this way, and sometimes I think I hear more of what’s in the music.
How do you listen?
128x128rvpiano
I'd be curious to know how many among us experience tinnitus regularly.
While there are factors other than exposure to loud noises that can cause it (heredity, high blood pressure, etc), it appears that our ears tell us what a suitable volume level for listening is and it is very likely much quieter than we thought/think it is/was.
One of my frustrations with some live performances is that the volume level is too high for the room.  During those performances you can see the singer singing into the microphone, but can't hear the words, you can see the horns playing but can't hear them, etc.
The 2 last posts message above me are very important....Thanks orgillian97 and ejr1953

I cannot imagine listening over 80 Db regularly.....80 Db is my usual maximum....The line between NO and Yes...Most of my listening is under it....ESPECIALLY in near listening....In regular listening position sometimes for minutes i venture around or slightly over "for minutes"....

This is my anchor 80 Db....Over it, it is tempest in my head/ears/body...No more music....Under 80 Db, i navigate ALL the music in spirit form ; over it, it is gradually SOME sound that pilot my body no more my spirit...

I will repeat the gist of my point, if your system cant give you all acoustic factors rightfully under 80Db your audio setting system and controls in the working mechanical electrical and acoustical embeddings are wrong or at least lacking....This is one of the surprizing test you could make in audio....Listening at high level is compensation or intoxication, not so much music....

«Sounds could be a rainbow rain  or a fist punch, in the 2 cases we perceive colors»-Groucho Marx 🤓
I have a bit of tinitus in my left ear. I have an 8000 hz notch.

Please don't laugh: If I put my hand around my left ear while I listen, I can get enough compensation to feel what it's like with almost normal hearing. I don't do this often. My tinitus is relatively mild and inconsistent. 

I also found that tilting the left speaker a bit more so that it fires at my right ear and vice versa really helps without diminishing soundstage.

I also LOVE the Tannoy high frequency energy pegs on the front of my Turnberrys. They are very subtle adjustments and I have the left speaker tweeter pegged up one notch. It makes an almost imperceptible difference but that kind of option is so nice to have. 

I go to all live events with ear plugs. I have done so since age 25 (now 54). When my left ear high end diminished, I developed a sensitivity to high volumes. It's as is the rest of the frequencies boosted to compensate.

I mostly listen at 65-70db. But adjust to the music being played. But I'm so grateful that I can still appreciate high resolution audio. 

Your ears are amazing things. Please take care of them. 

Interestingly, when listening to an orchestra at lower volumes you can picture yourself further back in the hall. Conversely, with higher volumes, closer up.
it’s all an illusion anyway.