Tell about your experience with your old Audio-Technica SL-1200s..

I've had an SL-1200 MKii for about 40 years now - did some KAB upgrades, added a Hana SL cartridge (have a Shure V15 MR Type V as well with the original and a new JICO stylus).  Was thinking about an upgrade to a GR or something else around $2k-$3k and wanted to know, if you came from an old 1200, where did you go from there?  Did you go anywhere?  What did you gain from your next turntable?  Did you keep your old one and are you currently using it as a lazy susan?   I had been considering a tonearm upgrade as a possible option but it looks as if the SME and Jelco arms are disappearing fast or are going for crazy prices.  I understand that if you've never had one, you have no basis on which to make a comparison, but if you have something that knocks your socks off that doesn't require a second mortgage, please share.
bikerbw
I bought a Technics SL-1600MKII in 1979.  I used Pickering cartridges. It served me well for a very long time, until I bought a 1200G three years ago.  I gave the 1600MKII to my son two years ago with some other of my favorite vintage gear; it is still going strong.
2 SL-1200 mk II’s
1 SL- 1210 black version is all.

Had the reg 1200’s mkII for well over 30 years now, 
REMOVE PLATTER, spindle, take apart, wipe clean add 2 -3 drops clean synthetic oil.  Plan on them going to family someday

they will be good for another  15-20 years.

No other turntable can say that.
maybe my Dual.....

best turntable ever made, the motor is crazy reliable, 

can not afford the newer version of the 1200., isn’t it. Starting about 1K$

Thanks everyone for their comments/suggestions - even the ones that strayed a bit from the question because it made me think out of the box, and again I apologize again for hosing up the title.  Haven't bought anything else yet - was about to pull the trigger on a GR but then they evaporated here on the eastern coast, and almost snagged a VPI Classic 1.  Looked at the SP-10 MKII's available but the ones I saw were in the $3-4K range and the others had speed/spindle/damage issues.  Tried yet again to swap the aluminum Technics head shell with the Zupreme but still couldn't get it to sound just right (though I did get the azimuth dialed in near perfectly).  Did the calculations for resonance and came up with 9 Hz for the Technics tonearm and head shell with a Hana SL cartridge and 8 Hz with the Zupreme - not a big difference there but the Zupreme is a bit heavier - 12 grams vs 7.5 for the Technics.  Maybe the installed KAB fluid damper is coming into play here, not sure.  Can't get a definitive reading on the resonance freq from the Analogue Test LP.  I'm holding steady right now, it seems.
It is doubtful that the KAB fluid damper is a contributor to the difference.  I use one too on my GAE, but I prefer the Zupreme.  Like you said, not a big difference and probably comes down to taste.  I also had the same experience back in the day with my Mk II.
I don't understand all the hype about Zupreme headshell, there are probably 20 more amazing headshells available from lightweight to heavyweight, at least 2-3 models from each brand like Orsonic, AT, Entre, Stax, Grace, AudioCraft, Denon, Sony, Victor...  some of them with ovehrang/azimuth adjustment like AT, some with treated mounting holes (to avoid nuts) like AudioCraft and Grace HS-6/8, some are carbon-fiber like Grace HS-6 ... 

My favorites are Grace (HS-6 and HS-8) and all AudioCraft headshells.