Interesting experience with two very different speaker designs

I wanted to relay my experience with two different sets of speakers in hopes that it might prove interesting and/or help some folks.

My current speakers are Tekton Electron SE with a Pass XA30.5 and a MicroZOTL2 Preamp.  I was absolutely loving the sound but I started getting into the DIY open baffle thing.  I started with a very simple JE labs design with a single driver and after a few prototypes, I ended up with a 2-way using an Emminence Alpha 15 and a Tang Band W8 2145.

After breaking the DIY speakers in a bit, I was really blown away.  The soundstage was huge and very 3D.  The bass was big and warm but still pretty fast and articulate.  Also, the speed of the speakers was very apparent.  I loved them especially on big orchestral works where the soundstage really comes to life.

I lived with them for about 4 months and then I put the Electrons back.  Very interesting.  Timbrally, the Electrons were just better.  The OBs upper midrange sounded kind of flat and beamy in comparison.  The bass on the Electrons, though not as extended, was better controlled.  In some ways I found the OBs to be more transparent in that they really pointed out the flaws in some recordings.  Well recorded stuff sounded amazing but they gave no love to mediocre recordings.  The Electrons just make everything sound good. Much more forgiving.  

Going from the OBs to the Electrons, I lost some of that soundstage magic.  The Electrons, though they have some depth, lack that completely open 3D thing that the OBs were giving me.  However, from top to bottom, they just sound right.  Instruments sound like how they are supposed to sound.  That all-important midrange really shines.

Though I like both these speakers, I'm going to stick with the Tektons.  However, if what you value is speed, transparency and soundstage over timbre, I think open baffle is a good way to go.  I'll say this with the caveat that I'm not a speaker designer and there may be OB speakers out there that really get the timbre thing right too.  I'd love to hear some!
adam8179
Every speaker is a function of its concept, design and execution.  After listening to probably thousands of speakers it is clear that some organisations do some configurations better than others, KEF with small concentric designs, Tannoy with large concentric. Jamo do a good job with open baffle and PMC with   transmission lines, personally I have never heard a horn speaker I liked but many I definitely didn't. Amphion do some nice passive radiator designs. I don't think any one configuration is necessarily better its far more about the execution.
I am a believer that you start with your room.  If you have a nice big bounded rectangular space with which to work, big planar or open back speakers can really shine.  More confined by room size and asymmetric room openings, etc?  Don’t even think about them.  Scale the speaker to your room and dynamic requirements.  Then supply requisite amplification. 
Hello,
I demoed some Emerald Physics with a special separate crossover and four separate amps. It was amazing how big it was. Very open, as if I was listening to a big outdoor concert. It is fun to play with and definitely better bass than a set of Maggie’s. If you are in the Chicagoland area and want to take a listen they are at this store. https://holmaudio.com/
They will let you take the whole setup home fir the weekend to listen in your home. 
Having the same experience with my new Tannoy Turnberry GRs. I sold my old Salk Songtowers to get them. The Songtowers were pretty amazing top to bottom. Everything sounded wonderful. Great bass... outstanding soundstage.

The Tannoys are pretty amazing at timbre and detail. I'm hearing things that are spooky good...things that were simply not there before...maybe because of the increased efficiency. But man, some stuff is down right rough to listen to. I have only 25 hours on them so from most forums I've read, there are more hours to get them settled in.

I do like the bigger sonic picture but completely frustrating and fascinating at the same time.