Why are there no tube televisions anymore?

It’s funny when you come to think of it and compare video with audio. How come in the audio world discussions sometimes become intense, while there seem to be far less intense discussions in the TV & video realm?

With TV’s there’s no talk on tubes, transistors, analog, digital, vinyl, cables, power cords, heck we can even get ’audio’ fuses and -USB cables.

No one has a tube TV (while they really have a ’warmer’ image :) and very few people use a $400 power cord with their TV set. And while there are expensive HDMI cables on the market, the vast majority uses one below $50. And no one spends money on floor spacers to avoid cable vibrations.

Our eyes may even be far more sensitive than our ears ... yet discussions are far less intense. How come?

rudyb
New TVs are totally better. But what kinda sucks nowadays is that when the signal is interrupted, the picture is frozen or gone.

Where before it would just be fuzzy/snowy...and you still had a bit audio to help you along. You would rarely miss a critical moment. There have instances where signal is out for (super bowl) for the count.

Easy trade off though...4k looks great at 55".

CRT TV FISH TANK

jasonbourne52, what do you watch on your Insignia? [I thought you might like some attention?]
Insignia NS-DVDVCR Dvd & 4-Head Vcr Combo Player, I bet you have this bad boy to play your analog movies, then step back to DVD when you’re slummin’it?

When I was a kid we had a large tube TV in a wooden console, as was common then. It stopped working. My excellent idea at the time was to remove the large picture tube and replace it with my fish tank. Worked out great, but what to do with that large picture tube. It was way too big to fit in the garbage can.

So I took it out to the field in back of the house to break it into pieces. I then threw a large rock at it from a discrete distance. The rock just bounced off the screen. So, looking for heavier armament, I found a brick to throw at it. When that brick hit, it was like a bomb went off. Scared the daylight out of me. You have no idea what a loud noise those TV picture tubes make when they implode. It was quite a shock.

Now I ask you, what modern big screen could do that and provide an unexpected and memorable experience of that sound quality, which by the way, you can still vividly recall some sixty years later. Bring back the tube TV’s.

Mike
If you want to only watch TV made in low res pre-2000 (,at best) and no sports - and mostly stuff like The Andy Griffith show go ahead. Tubes cannot reproduce modern digital content, can't do even 720p  (really it's like comparing apples and oranges) plus they generate heat and use FAR FAR FAR more energy. Theoretically I suppose you could create a 96" CRT tv and, discounting the insurmountable firm/software incompatabilties, it would weigh a ton, would need all sorts of bear sinks and fans, and consequently be the size of a small room - to to mention rewiring your entire house and the electric bill. And it would cost, what $1M? More? So...insane even to discuss.