3way replacement for my 2way

I’m thinking of replacing my Triangle Comete EZ Bookshelf speakers with some 3 way speakers and seriously considering purchasing either 2nd hand or new.

My Triangles are good about 85% of the time, they’re somewhat forward, not very forgiving and lack that warm feeling of a 3 way.

My Triangles currently are on the company’s accompanying stands about 24” from the back wall and about 20” from the side walls and towed in projecting to my couch’s center. My room is 12’x 11’ w/ a 10’ ceiling, in addition the room has a tray in the center giving the center an additional 1’ of height. The floor is carpeted, no furniture other than a couch against one wall facing the equipment and record storage racks on the other wall, one window on the side wall is treated with thick room darkening curtains, basically the room sounds pretty good.  

I’m running a Carver Crimson 275 Amp that’s hooked up to a Parasound ZPre3 Preamp. I mostly listen to vinyl on my Orbit U-Turn TurnTable equipped w/ a Ortofon Super OM20 Cartridge stylus that’s hooked up to an IFi Zen Phono Preamp. 

I get that it’s a “Mid-Fi” set up but it lacks some warmth that I feel is a result of my 2 way’s extreme forward output. 

Like I mentioned prior, my Triangles sound great at times, they just always have that in your face high going on, sometimes more than others. 

I’m looking for 3way speaker recommendations in the $2k - $3k Ballpark that have a nice balance of Highs, Mids & Bass. 

I know there’s some really great speakers out there and not to sound obnoxious, but please don’t recommend some great pair of used speakers that even if I spent six months full time searching the internet I won’t be able to locate. 

Not into Klipsch,No B&W’s or Polks. My music tastes are Blues,Jazz, Big Band, Reggae & Classic Rock if that helps. 

I’d love to hear your thoughts.

128x128flasd
No subs: I think: bigger woofers, no ports (12" or larger),

IF something like the KLH-5 (as an example only) then plan on an eventual stereo pair of self-powered subwoofers (this or a future space).

front firing, no ports, located by mains.

IF you plan on sub-woofers, you could get them 1st, use with your existing 2 way, then select main replacements, subs in place.

Use pre out to sub, sub back to main in method to relieve both your amp and speakers from low bass duties.
  • Thanks Elliott, I do have a sub as noted in my post. Personally I feel most of those “tune in adjustments” on speakers at that price point are more of a gimmick, I may be wrong, but was never really ever to hear difference when messing with them.
My Parasound ZPre3 Matches up well with My Crimsom 275 and I considered a all tube track to my output, but feel tubes also can be iffy with each other and could come back with “doesn’t play well with others on the playground” written on the report card.
I like tubes being in one place. Besides, the ZPre3 has bass management w/sub outs.I have been considering a used pair of Vanderstern 2ce’s, The 1c’s are a 2 way and after discussing my set up with the folks at Vandersteen, they agreed the 1c, although sounds great, would prob not get me away from the 2way sound that I’m looking to ditch.

I last pair of speakers were the Cometes.  They were good but sounded thin.  I went with Ref 3A de Capos, much richer/fuller sound.  not colored, detailed. good at low volume and rock at high volume
While I understand the urge to upgrade, and acknowledge that are lots of great three-way speakers available, I don’t think narrowing the field according to having 3 drivers is particularly useful. There are pros and cons of each design. I’d suggest evaluating speakers you love the sound of, and that work well in your system in your room, regardless of the driver configuration.

The sound you’re getting now is likely caused by a combination of things, perhaps even the voicing of that particular speaker, but being two-way or three-way isn’t typically indicative of the resulting character of sound. There are some mighty fine full sounding two-ways around, and eliminating those bypasses a lot of wonderful candidates.

With that said, the Wharfedale's would be on my audition list too.