RE: the question: ":Why do forum interactions become contentious". . .

I've just had a very unexpected and very unpleasant PM from a forum participant. 

He'd been suggesting I buy a certain component  and I told him politely that I didn't visualize that particular purchase fitting in with my long-range plans.  

His response was to accuse me of wasting everyone's time and to call me an "effing idiot" (except he spelled "effing" correctly). 

The great majority of interactions I've had here have been very enjoyable and recent input from
more experienced forum members has helped greatly in clarifying my plan for the next upgrade cycle. 

The thread on lesser-know Jazz has been great-- lots of participation and lots of terrific suggestions. 

Nevertheless, I've decided to take a break. 

Best regards,

Stuartk

stuartk
I think it is a shame if you let one clown spoil it for you. Ignore him and he will turn his attention to someone else and hopefully get more than he bargained for.
@jim204:

Thanks for your kind words.

I've got some health issues at present and taking some time off feels like the best course for now. 

stuartk,
Click on your Profile, click Edit Account, click Security, enter the person’s name and block any further massages from them.
Best to you and take care.