Possibly Dumb Question re:Battery as a power supply

I have bought a new Clearaudio Performance DC Wood turntable.  I plan to drive to the dealer in Atlanta and pick it up next Wednesday.  I have seen the wall wart power supply which comes with the TT, and it is not a pretty sight.  Clearaudio sells an upgraded 12V battery and charger supply for "only" $1,200.00.  I don't wish to present myself as a parsimonious individual,  but $1,200.00 seems a bit steep to me.  I am wondering what problems would ensue if I bought a moderately sized (say 25 or 30 lbs.) , sealed, lead acid, 12V rechargeable battery; attached the proper wires to connect to the TT, and used it as a power supply.  When the battery runs down I could just take it to my workshop and use my electronic, automatic battery charger I use to recharge car, truck and tractor batteries to bring it back to full power.  As little current as the TT uses this shouldn't be too frequent a chore.  It is just a possibility, but if it is feasible I might try it.  I would really appreciate any and all comments, criticism or warnings.
kingharold
I married a girl like your Mary too, and I love to hear someone give their wife due credit. So very sadden by your loss. Maybe an idea for a new thread, " Great wives/partners in audio". Surely some wonderful memories/stories. 
@kingharold
High end audio greatly benefits from clean power, and battery power may be the cleanest- don’t have to share a dirty AC line shared by devices, appliances, and neighbors. But as per the reasons mentioned by other posters, batteries have safety, space, and logistical problems to solve.
FYI- Some audiophiles use this as a battery power supply for their audio systems:
https://stromtank.com

Also, a heartfelt condolence on your loss.
I salute you, Harold, and your attitude towards what awaits us all. Condolences for Mary.

About that battery supply, it’s not hard to engineer something like that, but it does have to be engineered. A DC motor’s speed depends on the supply voltage, and when a battery discharges, well, it discharges, and the voltage declines. That means the TT’s speed will be far from constant unless it is precisely regulated, and that means more than just an MC7812 regulator chip.

Unless you want to take it on as a DIY project, I’d buy the power supply, pricey as it is. To DIY, a good place to start is "Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. More I think about it, I’d buy that battery power supply if I were you.

Full disclosure: I built the power supply for my AC motor TT, full quadrature, silent. But it was a project, and it would have taken real time if I hadn’t been retired with the equipment to hand.