Possibly Dumb Question re:Battery as a power supply

I have bought a new Clearaudio Performance DC Wood turntable.  I plan to drive to the dealer in Atlanta and pick it up next Wednesday.  I have seen the wall wart power supply which comes with the TT, and it is not a pretty sight.  Clearaudio sells an upgraded 12V battery and charger supply for "only" $1,200.00.  I don't wish to present myself as a parsimonious individual,  but $1,200.00 seems a bit steep to me.  I am wondering what problems would ensue if I bought a moderately sized (say 25 or 30 lbs.) , sealed, lead acid, 12V rechargeable battery; attached the proper wires to connect to the TT, and used it as a power supply.  When the battery runs down I could just take it to my workshop and use my electronic, automatic battery charger I use to recharge car, truck and tractor batteries to bring it back to full power.  As little current as the TT uses this shouldn't be too frequent a chore.  It is just a possibility, but if it is feasible I might try it.  I would really appreciate any and all comments, criticism or warnings.
kingharold
I use what I call ''German artillery'' consisting of ASR Emitter II
amp and Basis Exclusive phono-pre . Together + 120 kg. Both
have battery power supply consisting of 2 x 6 X 6 Volt batteries.
One for  pre -amp in the amp the other for the phono pre. Their
''life'' duration is +/- 7 years. 
Dear Mijostyn and anyone else, Did you not read my response to Noromance’s warning about noxious gases? Optima batteries are sealed, have no vents, and do not emit anything, let alone noxious gases. From the website:

"Sealed absorbent glass mat (AGM) batteries like OPTIMA® Batteries do not spill, sulfate or degrade like flooded batteries do. AGM design holds the electrolyte in suspension while keeping it in constant contact with the active lead material on the plates. This results in higher efficiency when both discharging and recharging.

AGM design offers lower internal resistance and greater plate area, which provides superior starting power, the ability to recharge much faster and higher voltage characteristics during discharge."

The blurb goes on to mention the Optima digital trickle charger, which I also own and which I recommended to the OP. I have used Optima batteries in all my collector cars since the early 90s with zero problems. I have also run 12V tube filaments with a huge Optima battery sitting in my living room, for several years, with no problem. Shame on you for not having one in your Porsche. After a conventional 6V battery, chosen because it was an accurate reproduction of the OEM Porsche 6V battery in my 550RS Spyder, puked acid into the forward area of the car, I replaced it with an Optima 6V battery, which you can even mount lying on its side, as I did to make it fit into the Spyder. (Early Spyders were 6V.)

Clearthinker, The question asked by the OP was not "whether" he should use a battery to run his turntable.  The question was whether he should spend $1200 on the Clearaudio battery and charger vs using some other battery. I don't disagree that maybe the OP would be best off with an outboard linear regulated 12VDC power supply, but I certainly do think the Clearaudio battery and charger are overpriced and could be replaced by excellent much less expensive equivalents.  (Actually, now I think of it, there may be a voltage regulator built into the turntable, which is why it can be run by a simple external battery.  So maybe the outboard linear supply need not be regulated.)

Use a 18V power tool battery connect to a regulator board bring down the voltage to 12V for the turntable power supply. Total cost included a spare battery and charger can be less than $200. 
I married a girl like your Mary too, and I love to hear someone give their wife due credit. So very sadden by your loss. Maybe an idea for a new thread, " Great wives/partners in audio". Surely some wonderful memories/stories.