Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10, you know by now that I enjoy dialogue as long as it does not turn contentious and insulting.

Of course there is a significant difference between the two solos; and yes the solo in question appears on the live recording, but not the record. They are entirely different solos. As they should be. That is the whole point of Jazz improvisation, no?

I never felt his solo was controversial in any musical sense. It became controversial HERE for some reason which, as I see it, was totally unnecessary: your objection to what I wrote re the character of a part of that particular solo. My opinion, not yours; or are we not allowed to have opinions that may differ from yours?

The solos in question are not opinions; we are talking about one of the greatest  jazz trumpeters who ever lived, playing a solo on one of the greatest jazz tunes ever written; our opinions have nothing to do with that.
Post removed 
Here we go again......

Ok I will try my best to help out with this ongoing trivial distraction which only takes away from the mostly positive experience of JFA.

First and foremost since when are jazz aficionados not allowed to have a difference of opinions. This is not 1938 Nazi Germany is it?????

That said I will attempt a resolution and address our OP first. I know you are a big Lee Morgan fan and aficionado of his talented trumpet playing. I agree that on the studio album Art Blakey And The Jazz Messengers A Night In Tunisia here:   Acoustic Sounds Lee Morgan hits the high registers quite often and sounds great doing it. However it is highly possible that on the live version Morgan could have been  doped up, a little drunk, maybe a combination of both, maybe hungover or in need of a "fix" or maybe he was just plain exhausted that particular night. Any of the reasons I have stated could have effected his playing on his solo - THAT PARTICULAR RENDITION RECORDED LIVE THAT NIGHT.

frogman the studio solos on a lot of jazz albums are improvised just as in a live setting. Also live recording equipment in those days was sub par and may effect the end result. The reasons I gave O10 above certainly could have an effect on a musician. So yes your opinion that Morgan was unusually playing in the high register on that live recording and on THAT PARTICULAR RECORDING THAT NIGHT sounded "off" is not without merit.

YOU BOTH HAVE GOOD POINTS AND I RESPECT BOTH OPINIONS

Can we get back to posting JFA???????????