What do "audiophiles" use to judge equipment?

The hypothesis: "Audiophiles" are mostly techno-cats who listen with their eyes - they read reviews and look at spec sheets... END. That is my opinion and I'd like to hear from music lovers who do NOT look at the specs; who do not get their info from forums like this - where you cannot HEAR the music but you can READ about the music - well, maybe a few of you can read music, right? Are there any others who trust their own ears and go into a music store and BUY something without the psychological hand-holding of a forum or spec sheet?
cmariner1
WOW!  And I thought starting a discussion about cables was the quickest way to start a fight in an empty bar!

Clearly, modesty, humility and respect are not principles some audiophiles live by! Surly animus serves only to reinforce the OP's preconceived notions about audiophiles. Wonder where s/he got that from?
The hypothesis: "Audiophiles" are mostly techno-cats who listen with their eyes - they read reviews and look at spec sheets... END. That is my opinion

Logic 101: hypothesis ≠ opinion