Fidelity vs. Musicality...........Is there a tug of War?

I lean towards Musicality in systems.
ishkabibil
I mixed sound for Patricia Barber a couple of years ago...acoustic piano needs no tube amps (!), just 2 high quality condensers. She asked us to remove the top of the Steinway grand completely which was a pain, and she wanted her own monitor mixing board right next to her. Done...Trio (bass and drums) and man...she's astonishing, one of the greats.
wolf_garcia ...

Who was responsible for all of the digital reverb on the original mastering? 

The audiophile reissue is much better. And by the way, that drum solo on, I believe side two is fantastic.

Frank
Hjghly detailed systems for me lose out in musicality. It is less natural.
It might be that at home we got used to certain sound, that is different from live performance and we follow it?  Perhaps we also try to compensate for music compression by adding some noise or distortion (as distorted guitar is more dynamic than clean Jazz guitar at the same level).  I'm trying to get clean reproduction (accuracy), but if sound even with added distortion, noise and harmonics sounds natural/musical then it has fidelity.  Fidelity is not accuracy - cannot be measured, being subjective.

HiFi

Very few here are interested in fidelity. It was the pinnacle at one time now it's "musicality" whatever the crap that is.

High fidelity (often shortened to Hi-Fi or HiFi) is a term used by listeners, audiophiles, and home audio enthusiasts to refer to high-quality reproduction of sound.[1] This is in contrast to the lower quality sound produced by inexpensive audio equipment, AM radio, or the inferior quality of sound reproduction that can be heard in recordings made until the late 1940s.

Hi-fi speakers are a key component of quality audio reproduction.

Ideally, high-fidelity equipment has inaudible noise and distortion, and a flat (neutral, uncolored) frequency response within the human hearing range.[2]