What angle should I set the VTA on my VPI turntable?

I can't believe after all these years, I am asking such a basic "analogue 101" question, but here it goes. I own a VPI turntable that has a "VTA on the fly" knob.  I thought the best VTA setting was for the arm to be 100% parallel to the record surface.  

However, based on some research, I am not so sure that is correct way to set the arm to achieve optimal VTA and correlatively, optimal SRA.  Not sure, ... but I think I have to raise the pivot side of the arm.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

Thanks.     
bifwynne
Hello,
One more thing. Please do not set up your table with a cheap bubble level unless you checked or calibrated it with a really good level. I have made this mistake and found out these cheap bubble levels are not true. Your albums and your cart are not cheap. Please do not wear your gear out sooner than it should. It has been proven that a well set up cart sounds better and makes your cart and records last longer. I’m not trying to get on my soapbox. This equipment is not cheap and some of these albums cannot be replaced. I hope this helped. 

unipivot. and some tonearm style do not perform. well if it's way above the parallel setting.. either compromise. or find a better mounted cart.

I suggest look up all the videos and article by soundsmith Mr Peter and by Mr Michael fremer.. a mixture of accuracy and compromising art it is. 
@lewm, using a USB micoscope to set SRA is very accurate. You take snapshots and measure with a protractor to a reference line that is perfectly horizontal. I use a laser level. The toughest part is holding the microscope fixed in the right position without any wobble. Once you have a microscope stand figured out it is a breeze. 
You set VTA the same on any turntable....it’s not specific to the turntable, but to the cartridge. In general, you want the tonearm parallel to the record...from there, you can tweak it to your liking, cartridge ass down, or tipped forward...generally ass down, more bass and more full, tipped forward, more treble or high frequency detail....I belive you are looking for a stylus rake angle of about 92 degrees. You should also re-check your stylus down force upon adjusting VTA.
I set mine and mostly leave it alone...there are too many variables involved as far as record thickness etc...unless you want to drive yourself nuts and adjust for every record...