How to get into high end digital? (Feeding a DAC)

I am looking primarily at the Schitt Yggdrasil or the Topping D90.
  • How does one feed those?
  • I am assuming any sort of CD transport would output the bit stream?
  • or… they get saved to file and played from some media player into the DACs.

Some example of what is commonly done would be great.

The system currently consists of:
  • TT —> Audio Research PH2
  • An old Nakamichi 5 disk CD player
  • TV
  • Audible Illusions line stage (New tunes on the way, but it still sound OK to me with the old tube in it)
  • Prima Luna (with GoldenLion and TS KT-120 one the way… and I might I’ll get the VTL mono blocks 100w/ch serviced)
  • Vandy 2C and Vandy sub

I also have a Home Theatre pre, which is Roon capable, on the way… So that maybe does some of this for me as well? 

But to be totally honest, the digital side is a bit of mystery to me.
I have always thought we plug in a CD player and the signal comes out. (Maybe with some nuance in DACs, clock jitter, and filtering to separate the higher end from the lower end products.)
128x128holmz
The OP asked into HIGH END digital... Not your basic run of the mill digital.

I think I am the OP ;)

Empirical Audio Off-Ramp 5, USB Audio Digital Converter. Eat your heart out...

How's that for a USB isolator!

Sorry holmz, I had to

Exhausting...

I am not exhausted yet… (Thanks)

OK so it looks like the MUC send the audio out of the USB?
And would sit between a NUC and a DAC?
Not really trying to be contentious however a cheap DAC sounds like a cheap DAC, a cheap CD player sounds like a cheap CD player, a cheap turntable sounds like a cheap turntable. Unfortunately some expensive ones do too? But not all. 
Not really trying to be contentious however a cheap DAC sounds like a cheap DAC, a cheap CD player sounds like a cheap CD player, a cheap turntable sounds like a cheap turntable. Unfortunately some expensive ones do too? But not all.
OK then… which cheap ones sound expensive?

So far I have a list which includes:
  • Topping
  • Schitt Yggdrasil 
  • Khadas 2 Tone Pro Dac
  • Empirical Audio Off-Ramp 5
  • Gustard X26 Pro
But if I have to spend 20kilobucks, then I am pretty much out… and I’ll just use an iPad.
I have been hearing since the 80s that CDs/digital is God’s gift… but then 40 years on, it is stuff like, “Well how can a CD compare to a 5-10k$+ vinyl setup.” 

And then half my friends and workmates swear by Sonos, which I do not really see much benefit in… other than ease of setup.

doesn't come with the R2R baggage of the Schiit Yiggy.
And I thought that R2R sounded like a good solution?
Have been all digital this last 15 years, and my current thinking is that for digital, unlike many of the views expressed earlier, everything mattters.

Simplisticly put, instead of a continuous stream (analog) the music is chopped up (sampled) and then recombined to simulate the original analog stream.  Theoretically, since the sampling is so quick, the ear cannot detect the difference.  What the ear does detect, however, are the inaccuracies in the process.  That is jitter.  Reducing jitter is what it's about.

The recompiling is timed by a clock which emits a 'ping' every fraction of a second. This ping corresponds to a marker embedded during the sampling process in the signal.  The more this is in sync, the less jitter, the purer the signal.  

So all digital devices have a 'clock'.  The better the clock the better your music will sound.  But like everything, there is no magic bullet here. If you feed in garbage, even though the very good quality clock you might have struggles valiantly, it can improve the signal only partially.  So you have to clean up the signal as much as possible before it hits the final clock prior to conversion back to analog. 

This means digital devices need much of the same treatment as analog:

Good powerGood components
Good component support/footersGood cabling
Hopefully, this argument has indicated that timing (reduced jitter) is all important in digital systems. 
And finally, here is the good news for those of you who have managed to get through all of the above:  After all this, you can STILL get the signal reclocked and cleaned up hugely by a relatively new device...the audiophile switch.  The reclocking in them is far more accurate than the clock in most DAC's.   They work even better in a cascade (series) as each stage cleans up the signal more.  Price for these switches vary from usd 700/- to many thousands. 

My system comprises router/NAS > streamer > dac with 3 audiophile switches in series prior to the streamer. The addition of each streamer marked an large order of improvement. 

Most audiophile switches come with the capability of using fibre optic (which can be immune to electrical effects) instead of copper wire, but that's another story.  

So, once you got the basics sorted, i.e. storage device, streamer and dac, to get to serious high end sound you should clean up the signal more with audiophile switches.  This will help no matter how high end the clock in your final digital component, the dac, is. 

The never ending story here is using external clocks!  These are accurate to atomic standards and there is a whole cult built up around implementing them.  My first one arrives in a couple of weeks!

Best wishes, and hope this diatribe has been of use.  I have avoided talking about branded components to avoid the appearance of shilling.  My 2 cents.

There's a reason the Denafrips Ares 2 DAC is so widely praised by reviewers and users alike......It's Wonderful and Musical and is compared to DACs that cost 2 or 3 times the price of the Ares 2.  It's definitely a DAC you should have on your list.