Is it ever enough?

It strikes me that continuing to tinker can be either positive or a negative for a given individual. When I make changes intending them as a remedy for something deficient, I don’t always know if that emerges from an inability to be satisfied and happy with what I have, or as a legitimate process of improvement.
For me, the question of when is my system excellent enough to simply sit back and listen to it for the rest of my life is difficult to ascertain.
Obviously, a lot of people don’t care about this and simply enjoy trying to perfect their sound, independent of any such concerns. And, of course, there’s nothing wrong with that, or it’s opposite, which I would call being satisfied on a budget, or perhaps having the benefit of less discerning ears in terms of budgetary effect.
Anyway, I’m curious, if anyone else is interested in this topic, to hear what they think. If the topic doesn’t interest you, you’re probably better off responding to someone else’s post.
128x128m669326
@ erik_squires

The secret IMHO however is to build instead of buy. Get your hands dirty. Play with parts. Solder something. Glue a speaker together. You’ll be able to tinker a great deal more and get hands on experience.

I think you’re onto something, and is perhaps is one of the reasons I’m fairly satisfied. I built my speakers from scratch, rebuilt my amps, rebuilt my preamp, modified my TT, and even pieced together my own speaker wires.

DIY increases knowledge and appreciation for what you have, plus you might even have some luck tailoring things to your liking.  The budget goes a lot farther too.
It is easy to get to enough once you understand what makes the sound you want.  Every one has their own preferences.  So opinions are just that.  Get to understand what works for you and then you can be done.