REL vs JL AUDIO

Who makes the best subwoofer for music? REL or JL AUDIO? REL uses High level, JL AUDIO low level with EQ. Which will be better for music. 
jeffvegas
There is nothing special about the Perlisten subs, just marketing BS. None of them include a high pass filter, a fatal mistake.

I have also been turned away from JL Labs products due to multiple reports of liability problems. I have personal experience with one failure.

There are many fine subwoofer drivers out there now and many digital processors with fine bass management capability. The best way to deal with subs is to get a processor, separate amplifiers and passive subs. The key to low distortion is using large and multiple drivers keeping the excursions short. With bass management sealed subs are best. As long as you have the power you can make the sub do anything you want. 

You would be surprised how inexpensively this can be done. Parts Express has great subwoofer kits that anyone with two hands can build.
As an example; Four Dayton Ultimax 12 sub kits + a MiniDSP DDRC 22D + 2 QSC QX7 amps = $3400.00 plus some elbow grease. 
A single JL Labs Fathom 113 is $5000.00. 

Great thread.  I've wondered about the same question.  Having only owned a REL (528SE) and in the market for two subs, this is great information.  Reliability is important as shipping subs back and forth to the mfr for repair is not something I'd want to do.  My use is for music only.
I had a pair of JL Audio E-112s, very fine subs but I couldn't take advantage of the built-in XO...I replaced them with a pair of REL S/510's...and was able to get much better integration with my mains using the high level inputs. 
Appreciate all the input. I have a REL S2 and am upgrading so I wanted to know which way to go. Looks like I'll stick with REL. The Carbon Special looks like the one.