Buying advice: McIntosh vs SimAudio for Integrated Amplifier/DAC.

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to the Hi-Fi scene, and would greatly appreciate your advice regarding my next purchase in the realm. So far I've followed a very modular approach, buying one component at a time, and have found a lot of info online and on these forums that guided me so far. But the next step is a bit tricky (and pricey) and includes a brand that I am completely new to; SimAudio's Moon.

The two products I am debating currently are the following:

1) McIntosh MA9000 ( https://www.mcintoshlabs.com/products/integrated-amplifiers/MA9000).

2) SimAudio Moon 600i v2  https://simaudio.com/en/product/600i-v2-integrated-amplifier/
+ SimAudio Moon 650D DAC ( https://simaudio.com/en/product/650d-dac-cd-transport/)

From a price point, I was surprised to find that the Mc is actually much cheaper than the SimAudio combo, which got me to a pause. I've never heard much of SimAudio as a brand, and my Audio dealer who I trust a lot swears by the SimAudio. But like everyone I've always wanted to gradually build up a complete McIntosh setup. But I'm wondering if the double Moon setup would actually yield better sounding output. I've demoed both products and they sounded slightly different to my ears, but both in it's own uniquely pleasant way, which has left me torn between them.

So I thought I ask the more experienced crowd here about the technical specs. Keeping in mind that the majority of my music listening experience is coming from a McIntosh MT5 Turntable with a modified cartridge, and an Auralic Aries G1 through Tidal and Qobuz. My dealer insisted that the Moon has a superior DAC. I'll of course be listening through Stereo through a pair of KEF R11 speakers.

Thank you very much in advance for any insight and advice, whether it's regarding the particular products, or about SimAudio as a brand vs McIntosh.
stereonewbie
Between the two; I would pick Simaudio.

That being said; I'm not even close to being totally knowledgeable of these two brands.

Why not pic the Moon Preamp dac and the McIntosh amps?  Save money on the amps and get the better sound of the Moon at a lower price.  I heard this combo at an audio store in Boulder driving $130K Sonus Faber speakers.  It was amazing!
I have Moon & McIntosh...

I have the Moon 280D Streaming DAC... It was an upgrade from Node 2i streamer using the internal DAC of McIntosh C2600 preamp.

My amp is a MC 302.

I have been impressed with Moon.  I am exploring upgrading - DAC and amp (I must admit I want/need more power). 

I'm early in the process and I will be comparing Moon 390 preamp with 400M amps against C2600 with MC 462 with Moon 390 only functioning as a DAC. 

Based on what your are comparing the Moon products are a step above the McIntosh products.  That being said both companies make good products and its really about what you like better and if there's a difference if the cost difference is worth it.

Good luck and enjoy the process