Is bass the most important frequency band?

One thing I’ve noticed when upgrading my audio system is that when I have really good bass, I’m happy. If the bass is top notch, I can overlook less-than-stellar treble or so-so midrange. The opposite does not seem to be true. Sure, I can get tremendous enjoyment out of a high-fidelity playback of a flute or other instrument that doesn’t have much bass impact, but when I switch to a track that has some slam, if my sub/woofers don’t perform, I’m left wanting, and I am inclined to change the track. When my subwoofer game is top notch, there is something extremely pleasing about tight, powerful, and accurate bass response that easily puts a smile on my face and lifts my mood in a matter of seconds. Maybe it all boils down to the fact that bass frequencies are heard AND felt and the inclusion of another sense (touch/feeling) gives bass a competitive edge over midrange and treble. I am not talking about loud bass (although that can be really fun and has its place), but the type of bass that gives you a sense of a kick drum’s size or allows for the double bass to reach out and vibrate the room and your body. I propose to you that bass and sub-bass should be optimized first and foremost, followed by treble and midrange in order to maximize enjoyment. Thoughts?
128x128mkgus
@dabel    

I now have 5 subwoofers in my space. Four for the swarm (distributed bass array) and one for the HT. This sounds counterintuitive, but the results speak for themselves. The swarm is controlled with an inexpensive MiniDsp 2x4, which sets the crossover frequencies and distributes the signal. The only downside, outside of cost, is running all the additional cables.
Post removed 
Interesting. I’m a detail freak and bass doesn’t come into the equation for me. Don’t get me wrong, it can’t be missing and it can’t be boomy, but it’s not something I listen for. 
Use the above methods to get the bass right and you will be surprised at the improvement in those "details". 

Oh wait, sorry, other bass discussion. Use the below methods. 
room modes, which are what we hear as lumpy boomy etc bass. But the solution to room modes is multiple subs. Once you understand this and change from the old-school two locations mentality to a DBA suddenly a huge amount of "room problems" goes away. 

The next biggest source of "room problems" is the room being made to vibrate by speakers physically coupled to it. This creates resonances and ringing that ruins a lot more than just the bass. When floors, walls and ceilings are all being made to vibrate by physically coupled speakers it smears and colors all up and down the audio band. 

The solution to this "room problem" is to decouple the speakers by putting them on springs. This is impressively effective, as has been demonstrated many times. 

If the goal is improved bass response then both of these should be done first, long before any of the other suggestions. DBA and isolation are whole orders of magnitude better than anything else you can do. The improvement you will hear from doing these goes does indeed greatly improve bass response, but also goes far beyond that one thing.
DBA, Townshend Podiums and Pods, huge improvement in detail resolution and bass control. 

This by the way will also reveal why it is not so much "a" frequency band, but whatever band has the worst most colored resonance. DBA and isolation greatly reduces these revealing a huge amount of hidden character. 
We all differ in this narrow field. My priority is a midrange that is real, alive and clear. Main speaker bass down to 30. I don't think a sub has much business playing above 32-34 ever. Treble that is clean and silky with no jagged edges- there's enough of that in recordings. 
I'm sensitive to brightness and don't appreciate the trends of speakers having what I'd describe as a hyped up atmosphere in the mids and treble. Long term that makes me listen less. The presence region is the most difficult to get right for me.