LSA Voyager GAN Amplifier

Just got mine last week.  After 24 hours of play all I can say is that this is not your father's class D amplifier.  There is not one thing about its sound that reminds me of the class D gremlins that I do not like.  The low end filled in and now has deep impact, the midrange is the love child of a beautiful tube and clean hybrid amp - just gorgeous.  Highs are very clean and extended. Spatial cues are top notch. My system has had some damn good tube and solid state amps in it before and it has never sounded this good.  I am blown away with the quality of sound coming from class D amplification at this price point.

This 300 wpc amplifier is a real winner.....
128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjaymark
atmasphere,
Interesting about your use of the Rane mic input.  You might have a different Rane product than my ME 60 which doesn't have any input marked mic.  But some of these opamps are excellent, like the Jensen 990 (I think) used by John Hardy in his mic preamp.  Back in 1995, I made several 1 min recordings of myself playing the first page of the solo Mendelssohn violin concerto, using various preamps, mikes.  Even if my playing had slight variations, my violin tone still enabled me to hear the differences between mikes and their preamps.  The John Hardy was the fastest and leanest, but it was a little unnatural, so I chose the Bryston preamp, the most transparent of the other common pro units.

Try the Rane ME 60 in your audio system (not the later ME 60S which is more colored), on eBay for $200 or less.  RCA outputs have unity gain, XLR, 6 dB.  The quarter inch diameter rotary volume control is crude, which you could upgrade.  Still, as is, a great line stage.  I hope you experiment with the enormous EQ capabilities--up to 12 dB boost or cut for 30 one third octave bands from 20-20kHz.  There are lots of overlaps in these parametric curves.  Boosting exclusively from 8 kHz on up still brings out the buzz on cello and string bass, and removes lots of midrange mud on other instruments.  Have fun, and give me feedback.
Rane line level inputs are often Euroblock. I have a couple of the 3 channel MA-60 that need to find a home. All thru the Gon. 
While I wait for the modded LSA Voyager to get back to me I am doing some comparisons with the Benchmark LA4 preamp and CODA 07x preamp connected to the CODA #8 amp and sourced by the Gustard X26 Pro DAC via XLR.

I love the LA4. The fact that it's sound is so clean and quiet and really lets you hear the source and amp. I was enjoying a lot of hard rock with it the last couple of days. It also took a few days to really open up (it is brand new). Just love this preamp.

I am now playing the brilliant Michael Kiwanuka - KIWANUKA album. On this album it is not even close the CODA 07x is brilliant and better than the LA4. I know the CODA is adding flavor to the sound but it is a tasty flavor. A shame for me since I was hoping to sell the 07x and help pay for the tuner upgrade I just did. The 07x is staying long term as is the LA4.

BTW - if I sell the Voyager it is to pay for my tuner upgrade.
Listening to Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door on both preamps. The LA4 is electric with this album the CODA 07x seems a little duller in comparison (an apples-to-apples comparison).

Along with the 07x, I will be also using the LA4 in evaluating the Voyager. The difference between my 2 preamps is so easy to hear with various recordings. Each is never really bad with any of the music I have been playing, but when some music works well, it is great. 

I posted long ago that the Voyager did not work at all with the Topping pre90 that sounds a lot like the LA4.  The gain was all messed up and not a useable combo. I have a feeling the LA4 will not have the same problems with the Voyager.
yyz,
The neutrality/transparency of things like Benchmark is appreciated mainly intellectually rather than viscerally.  On classical music, transparency is required to fully appreciate the complexities.  In my violinist training, one master teacher explained to me how mere minute, fine differences separate great players from average ones, so accuracy and transparency has been my lifelong quest.  But rock thrives on visceral, gross excitement.  This is why audiophiles who mainly listen to rock seek euphonic, ballsy electronics with colors.  Benchmark is unsatisfactory for these rock listeners, because it doesn't give "oomph" and so on.  Unfortunately, electronics that feature oomph are usually deficient in clarity.  So you find that on Zeppelin, the LA4 gives electric detail and excitement, but the CODA 07x is duller.  The colors of euphonic electronics are really shaved off transients making the sound duller, whereas the natural colors of live unamped instruments have the real detail with excitement.

You could save money by selling all the euphonic Coda, Krell stuff.  Perhaps the LA4 + modded Voyager will give you enough of the warmth you want.  We'll see if LA4 + AHB2 is still the ultimate for most naturally recorded music.