Audiophile Priorities and Recent Topics

I'm increasingly fascinated by the number of threads that have been created lately by OP's who have joined over only the last 2 months with less than 30 posts that all seem related to the importance of wires and tweaks. While I'm not dismissing the notion that everything matters in hifi (including digital cable), it seems that these topics vastly overwhelm thread topics that clearly would have more influence to hifi audio sound such as discussions of the sonic characteristics of various amplifier topologies, the importance of simplifying the signal path, and identifying fantastic speaker/amplifier synergies, etc...

If some unsuspecting newbie were to stumble onto this forum they would likely come away thinking that a fuse or a piece of wire are the most important elements towards obtaining wonderful hifi sound. This is unfortunate. For example, my discovery of listening to a SET circuit years ago paired with speakers possessing a high and flat impedance greatly outshines any joy derived from identifying the finest digital cable produced by man. I'm simply questioning the hifi priorities that this forum seems to be obsessed with lately.

Is it just me?
128x128three_easy_payments
@whart   Thanks for the very thoughtful post Bill.  I'm not trying to imply that anyone "started this" but you are correct that I'm asserting that perhaps "undue emphasis is placed on these (arguably secondary) items, perhaps at the expense to the neophyte of addressing more important issues first. (And addressing may or may not involve spending money)."

And beyond the neophyte addressing the the more impactful issues first I'm actually just very interested in hearing accounts from folks on this forum about where individual audiophile priorities fall based on  actual experiences.  What areas have had the biggest impacts?  Where would you definitely not waste money?...etc.
Or, put another way, @three_easy_payments, if I had it to do all over again, what would I do? And I don't know the answer because part of where I am is where I've been. Somebody who listens to metal at crushing volumes is different than the chamber music or classical listener, and though we can say "oh, metal, that's not really music" it is. (Some of it, anyway). I guess I needed to go through the experience to get where I am, and am still learning. I'm getting to the point where I have one more speaker system to consider on the horizon and that one is going to take time given that it may be a frankensystem of horns. The usual suggestions may not work because I am very reluctant to give up what I get out of the Lamm ML2 amps (if I had to buy another pair to make the right set of horns work, I would probably do it, but that's a question that doesn't have an answer yet). 
I think we are all on our own journey. The fact that we can share this stuff without going to a club meeting or talking on the phone one at a time, but instead, reach a worldwide audience with a potentially vast readership who might be able to contribute is a marvel unto itself. 
I think to be fair to the tweakers, perhaps there is an implicit assumption that you already have a system that you are satisfied with and just want to eke out that last bit of improvement. It is a hobby after all, nothing wrong with obsessing over minor details/improvements.

@three_easy_payments -- is it fair to assume that your concern is not so much with the value (or lack thereof) of the suggested tweaks but the sudden onslaught of the 'presumably' newly-minted posters?

Actually i think the frequent gear changers have no real grounded baseline. Cat chasing the tail, so to speak

How many years have you had the Lamm Bill ? i bet you know them intimately

i have  ( let me push the button ) 5,301 hours on my Ref5se with essentially 3 tweaks: HRS isolation, A Nos usa Tung Sol 60’s tube in the power supply, SAIN power cord. I do have a $71 fuse on the way…

Tweaking is just a spectrum. Way back in the Eighties, i met a writer/ reviewer for Sensible Sound. He was a contemporary to Enid Lumley. I heard his tweaked out system Dynaco pre , etc, Vandy 2, ALL connections except cartridge clips soldered, everything but amp on battery power, etc..

Enid went further…

Then i met a guy who had his own transformer at the street

As Neil sang “ long may you run “….

best to you.

Jim
@tomic601 - I've had the ML2s since around 2007, with a few trips to the Vlad-meister (none at unreasonable cost or time) and many tube set replacements later, they continue to amaze me at their ability to capture and convey what is in the signal.  Now, that's the rub- what's the rest of the chain? My analog is still far better than my digital, but I've also spent 10x on the analog side. So I reach no conclusion about digital other than that the less computer nonsense I have to put up with, the better the experience (and some of the DSD stuff is incredible. In fact, so is some of the Redbook even at bargain basement pricing in terms of basic gear). 
I loved reading Enid Lumley when she was writing for The Absolute Sound because she seemed so wacky but was proved so right in so many respects. (Float your grounds, kill your refrigerator). 
I tried to get another transformer in NY. The power company guy came, and said no way, even though one of my justifications was an electrically heated long driveway. 
Oh well, it's just a hobby.... :)