Is today’s contemporary music lacking?

I listen to various genres of music, and I am a big fan of rock/pop from the 1950s to today.

When I turn in the radio to hear new pop/rock songs, I often hear “monotonous” verses with minimal melody repeated again and again (4x) then the chorus not quite matching the music of the verses. The artist seems to try using a good voice trying to make the song sound good but these songs seem to lack a good “melody”. Anybody else notice this?

Also, because pop/rock music is well established, is it more difficult nowadays to create new good melodies - are artists running out of creative ideas?  This thought has often crossed my mind whenever I hear another song remake.
kennyc
@bdp24  -  
Wilco has enjoyed greater success, but I prefer Son Volt.

Thank you for that. This has been a long standing debate between a small group of friends. I'm squarely on the side of Son Volt. All of the others prefer Wilco.

BTW, I'm holding tickets to see Son Volt next month at The Ludlow Garage. First time. Also have tickets to see Shovels and Rope again. Great Americana duo, and one of the best live shows I've seen in the last several years.

%90 of modern music is tripe, %90 rap-Ish  garbage, 
 plus singers can’t hold a. Note,..One at all, they use the computer,Mauro tune, etc.

50’s-early 90s’ most vocalists actually sang....and could do so with natural voice and great range. 
 2000 til now, music is trash, all garbage. Few exceptions of course,
most is trash
A lot more than a few. 

By simply opening your mind to different styles of music the last 20 years has produced an incredible amount music that rivals the favorites you cling to.  
Yeah if you listen to pop  not a heck of lot of stuff produced is ground breaking over the last 20 years but what do expect it's pop.
Every generation says this about the next generations music. Some genres are worse and some are better. The music industry is just that… an industry. They produce formula driven music to make money/profit. It’s been that way since the music industry started. Hell, musicians were writing and performing music directly for their wealthy benefactors long before there was an industry. So they wrote and performed music only for the wealthy. 
There is still fantastic new music being produced every year. Just stop expecting everything to sound like the cliched overplayed crap from the previous decades. 
Also, Bob Dylan sounds like absolute a**. Talk about someone that could have used autotune if it was available. 
Cheers.

"The music industry is just that… an industry. They produce formula driven music to make money/profit. It’s been that way since the music industry started"

Of course, AND, the industry used to be run by people who actually cared about music and were willing to take chances on artists who were not formulaic! Consider the remarkable variety of music on major labels in the 60's for example.  

Now, the bean-counters are thoroughly in charge. Their sole focus is  producing predictably rising profits. There is plenty of good music now but you won't find it on major labels.