Revel Performa F228 Be speaker... thoughts?

I am considering upgrading my main stereo speakers from my Epos M22’s, and I have been recommended Revel F228 Be’s. Reading about the brand, I am learning Revel is the high end speaker brand of Harman Industries. This retail for about $10,000 a pair but can be gotten at a nice discount. I have read reviews and they are described as great treble, smooth midrange, full range punchy bass, pretty much every $10,000 speaker should have that! They were also named The Absolute Sound speaker of the year in 2019. I am looking to spend about $5 to 6 thousand, roughly for the new speakers.

It would be very helpful if those who have heard these Revel’s would compare them against some of the well discussed and well respected speakers like Harbeths, Vandersteens, Focals, Dynaudios, Devores, ProAcs, Raidhos, Magicos that have similar models at this price. I am a listener of vocals, some pop (more old than new), soul, country, blues, jazz. Not hard rock, punk, electronica or rap. In the past I have been quite impressed by large Harbeths and Vandersteen 3’s in friend's homes, these have a full, strong vocals and bass, but not too sharp a sound in the highs. For domestic purposes, I need to stick to a speaker that fits our home decor, no giant panels or anything too outlandish looking for a multi purpose living area.
troidelover1499

troidelover1499 OP

F228 Be
Look to be a speaker that’s not too hard an impedance load in the bass, will even suit Class-D, and at 90db many >100w 8ohm tube amps with 4ohm taps, which will half to 50w when using those 4ohm taps.
https://www.stereophile.com/images/119Revelfig1.jpg

Cheers George
My problem with revel speakers is that while their wide dispersion design is great for HT they need more power than any avr is going to have and I just don't find their soundstage convincing for 2 channel. your results may vary. 
@troidelover, you have eclectic tastes in music. Bravo!

Generally speaking, speakers, like most other audio components, should be matched or appropriate for the components you'll be using them with, your sound room dimensions, acoustical properties of your sound room and speaker placement within that room. You'll never really know exactly what speakers will sound like until you get them home, broken-in and properly positioned. As such, when you buy, make certain whomever you buy from has a generous return policy (at least 30 to 60 days & preferably with no re-stocking fee). If you elect to schedule critical listening sessions in various shops, try to get them to use components as similar to yours, as possible and ask them to set up the speakers the way you would at home (e.g. x' apart; x" away from wall behind them; x' from listening position; etc.). I don't know if this applies to speakers with Beryllium tweeters but for those with AMT tweeters pay particular attention to the amount of space behind the listening position. If your listening position at home is, for example, a chair or couch with a wall right behind it, AMT tweeters, in my experience, have a propensity for becoming quickly fatiguing (i.e. harsh; bright; forward; headache provoking in brief listening sessions). They do better with plenty of unobstructed space behind the sweet spot (e.g. at least 9 or 10 feet but the more, the better).

More than most any other audio component, speakers are an intensely personal choice. Only your own two ears will know what's best for you. Good Luck! Happy Hunting!
Well I impulse bought a pair of these 228bes. They were a screaming deal, new in the box at used prices. 

I am still working through the setup with only about 5 hours on them but my opinion of them remains the same as my comments above. This is a very good even handed speaker. No real flaws but with no razzle dazzle either. 

On a personal note I find them lacking bass extension and intern weight without subs but I use duel subs in all my systems. Currently high-passing at 60hz using JL E112 subs, McIntosh MC462 amp and a wyred 4 sound DAC as a preamp (plan to replace the w4s soon).

The 228be seems a hair more forward in the highs than the 328be from memory (same amp). With my subs I am getting better bass than the 328be alone vs the 228be with subs (different room…). Room tuning the bass with subs is a nice option. 

Based on the amp meters (accurate/not???) I am getting 100db with 4.5 watts. Surprised how clean these sound at very loud volumes. I only really listen at 80-85 but I do have a duel home theater music room so nice to know they will not self destruct during a movie.