Subwoofer adjustment for each recording

I have dual REL subwoofers using high level speaker out connections as recommended by REL.  I have KEF LS50 meta speakers.  I am happy with my subwoofer crossover and volume settings most of the time. However, with some recordings the bass seems too strong.  Should I adjust the bass at the subwoofer?  Should I adjust the bass with my preamp?  Should I just listen to the music as is, since this is what the producer, engineer, or musician wanted.  Thanks.
aeschwartz
I just put remote volume control before my sub array.
Do what you want but rest assured that it has ZERO relation to a loudness control, which for other purposes, is simple to build. PM for details.
Some recordings have a lot of bass. Sometimes when you go to clubs and hear music live, there's a lot of bass. Other times, other recordings, there isn't.

I like to play the recording and have it sound like it was made.
Does the statement "seems too strong" mean you don't actually enjoy the stronger bass on these recordings....or....you enjoy it but don't know if you are supposed to enjoy it?

For my two cents, the system/tuning/music should always be to what sounds good too you and not to some supposed what the recording engineer intended.

Also, I suspect that people often adapt to the recording that have stronger bass, get used to that stronger bass and then wonder if other recordings have too little bass?
Music from different eras ,ie, 1960's will have more bass than mid  to late seventies onward . I usually set my Rel:s and leave it until I play an older record. Life is too short to listen to music without proper bass Imo. It's the back bone of music I listen to
The relationship your subwoofers have with the rest of your system should be stable. If the bass on a certain recording is too strong for you then use a bass tone control if you have one.
Well integrated subwoofers should not need any adjustment. Poorly integrated subs can be all over the place with different recordings.
I know what REL says. Their method of integrating subs is for people who do not want to spend any more money to do it right. The right way is to use only low level connections and a dedicated 2 way crossover like this one https://www.minidsp.com/products/minidsp-in-a-box/minidsp-2x4-hd.